Cross country runners endure through season to find success

Having developed a love for the thrill of running, cross country athletes have found success with setting personal records and two high school runners have qualified as All-Conference runners.

Cross country takes a lot of determination and perseverance. 

“Cross country is a mind sport,” sophomore Eli Long said.

Runners don’t only count success by winning medals, but mostly with setting personal records.

“We have a number of athletes who are setting PRs. When they are improving, it’s always a successful season,” coach Ehren Banfield said.

Two high school athletes were named All-Conference runners after the Oct. 11 Ozark Highland Conference meet. Sophomore Jaxson Deckard came in 10th with a time of 18:14 and freshman Naomi Yoder was 5th with a time of 21:10. This was a personal record time for Yoder.

These runners enjoy the challenge of long distance running.

“Running clears my head keeps me grounded and gives me time to think,” Long said.

“A lot of times people are like ‘running is just running,’ but you have to be mentally tough, because you have to endure for 3.1 miles. You have to keep pushing for an extended period of time,” Banfield said.

There is no question when it comes to the fact that Cross country is definitely a mental sport. Many of the runners say that running is a way to relieve stress and gives runners a time to think. 

“Just run all the stress off,” Long said. Long set his personal record at the Buffalo Invitational on Oct. 6 with a time of 22:11.52. 

“Running does hurt, but the runners high you get afterwards is great. It is the feeling of just finishing a race and you did the best you could and you just feel wonderful,” Long said

“I always like to tell the kids that they will wear their bodies down, but they will get a good night’s rest out of it.” said Banfield.

Four other high school runners set personal records at the conference meet, including sophomore Christian Culbertson, and freshmen Brayden Henderson, Wesley Jackson and Malachi Kellner.