VOED programs celebrate their history and accomplishments through spirit weeks

All throughout February, FBLA, FCCLA, and FFA had spirit weeks for members to celebrate their programs through dress up days and activities. 

FFA week was February 20- 23. Their spirit week was; Tuesday-flannel day and eat Flapjacks during your Ag Class; Wednesday – Wonders of Wildlife trip; Thursday- wear chore clothes, PJ’s and Boots; Friday-Wear an FFA Jacket and staff and supporters joined students for breakfast in the Ag building. 

It’s important to remember the history of each organization to keep up the values and traditions.                                                    

Each year, FFA chapters around the country celebrate National FFA Week. It’s a time to share what FFA is and the impact it has on members every day. Students work hard all year to better themselves, FFA week showcases and gives recognition to those members, Warsaw FFA has 102 dues-paying FFA members,” advisor Amanda Smith said. 

FFA can be a great chance for students to explore their interests in agriculture.

“FFA helps students explore different areas that may interest them as a future career,” president Erin Goodpaster said. 

Goodpaster recognizes the reasons why it’s important to be in FFA, and not just AG class. 

“Anyone in ag classes should be in FFA because you still have to do FFA-related things in those classes, even if you are not a member. AG students also sometimes help set up for events throughout the school day. Being an FFA member provides several opportunities that cannot be taken advantage of by Ag students who are not members, such as trips we take throughout the  year. Those who are just in the classes miss out on almost all the fun that can be had,” she said.                                         

Goodpaster is grateful for all the willingness to participate in events. 

“This year has been a really good year. We have had enough members attend set up and help work events for them to run smoothly. We also had many more people show up for our Appreciation Breakfast this year then our Brunch last year. One of the most exciting things we got to do was to hear Dr. Temple Grandin speak about handling livestock. Although this year has been full of good things, our monthly chapter meeting attendance numbers have been decreasing,” she said.

The organization hosted a chili dinner and worker’s auction

FBLA week was Feb. 13-16 and included guest speaker Ray Alcantara.

“Mr. Alcantara did a really good job explaining the pros and cons of owning a business,” senior Lovlie Haidusek said. Haidusek plans to study international business in college.

FBLA also celebrated with a spirit week, including: Twin Tuesday wear FBLA colors, Wear it Wednesday FBLA shirts, Thankful Thursday members wrote notes to someone they appreciate, Future Friday dress for a future career. 

Advisor Bethany Siegel said FBLA gives members an opportunity to learn, travel and grow as a business professional.
  “It inspires and prepares students to become community-minded business leaders through relevant career preparation and leadership experiences and helps students develop leadership skills through workshops, seminars, and competitions,” Siegel said. 

Even though the district contest went well, there is a lack of participation from members. 

“Our highs…we did really well at the district contest.  And lows…out of 42 members only half are active.  If students join, I would love for them to participate,” Siegel said. 

FCCLA week was  February 27- March 1, their spirit week was; Team Tuesday- dress in your favorite sports attire; Wannabe Wednesday- career or teacher attire; Throwback Thursday- celebrate 75 years of FCCLA; Fire Friday- wear red FCCLA polo.

FCCLA is a program that was created for students to become leaders at home and their future workplace. 

“75 years ago, Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), formally known as Future Homemakers of America, was founded at a convention in Chicago, Illinois when 29 Home Economic leaders came together with the idea of creating one national student organization aimed at preparing today’s students to be tomorrow’s leaders in the home and workplace,” advisor Kimberly Pate said. 

This program can be good for students to freely express themselves and prepare for adulthood. 

“It helps them because it gives them a place to express themselves and their creativity,” vice president Leah Miller said. 

For Warsaw’s 32 FCCLA members, it is important to celebrate FCCLA because it’s the legacy of making a difference around the world in schools and communities. 

“It helps with school spirit and pride, and brings awareness to the organization,” Pate said.