Golf team starts season with damaged home course

Fisher Love
Junior Carter Howell practices his swing the team’s new golf simulator.

As the golf season begins, all of them are going to have to face some early adversity and have to work around the problem of the putting green being shut down at Shawnee Bend Golf Course. This could result in them not being able to practice and get better at putting which is a key aspect in golfing. The 9 hole was also previously shut down.

“We’re going to play the game like normal. Hole 9 is back open. Our practice green is what’s going to take a while because of the damage done by the ones that vandalized the green with their truck,” Golf Head Coach Dennis Larson said. 

Players recognize that the putting aspect is a very big part of golf and with the putting green being shut down, that could cause some problems for some of the golfers. 

“I’m hoping to spend some time on improving my putting, that’s always where I fall apart,” senior Charlotte Alspaugh said.

The golf team strives for improvement this year and many of them are happy to be back on the course. This year there are quite a few seniors and some talked about how excited they were to make more memories. 

“I’m most looking forward to getting better and just having a fun time outside with my friends,” senior Elliot Kowal said. 

Some golfers have high expectations for themselves and hope to achieve those by practicing in season and in the offseason. 

Senior Carson Bonner hopes to, “qualify for state and place top three in every tournament.”

Last year, the golf team really improved but still didn’t have the season they wanted, but with more seniors this year they hope for a better outcome. 

“The team really improved last year. Had three finish All-Conference and hope to have that or more this year,” Larson said.

Most players have a few years under their belt. The experience can help and hopefully lead to more success. 

Dennis Larson has been the coach since 2020, and Senior Carson Bonner has the most experience on the team as he has been golfing for five years. All the other seniors have been golfing somewhere from one to three years.

The Golf team began their season on March 19, 1:30 pm in the Frostbite Scramble. They competed against Lafayette County, Lexington, and Oak Grove.