AMI use poses both advantages and disadvantages for students

Keira Mostaffa
Junior Keira Mostaffa works on AMI work during a snow day.

According to superintendent Scott Gemes, AMI days came to the Warsaw school district the year after COVID. They were trying to find a way to keep students engaged in school during long snow day breaks. When covid began it pushed them to do it quickly. 

Since COVID led to students being out of school for a long period of time, they decided to quickly introduce AMI days to prevent having to add days to the end of the year. This gave the district the advantage to have school from home and still count it as a school day. Principal Danny Morrison said teachers are instructed to give out work that is just a review for students. This makes sure the students are staying connected with the work they are doing and have it fresh on their minds. 

Warsaw High School is allowed five AMI days. Once all five of the days are used, the next snow day will have to be made up. WHS has already used all of the five snow days so if the weather gets bad and we can’t make it to school that day, then that day will have to be made up on a Monday or added to the end of the year. 

Many students have mixed emotions about AMI days. Some students say it takes away from their snow days and time off, but others may say they think it’s beneficial and a good addition to our school. 

“I don’t think AMI days are beneficial because the work that we do is from previous lessons that I already have learned.” Sophomore Kaleby Stevenson said. 

“I would rather have an AMI day than have to go to school on Mondays.” Freshman Jenna Gerken said. 

Students feel different ways about doing their AMI work. Some students put it off for most of their day and find themselves having to catch up later on and finish their work for the day. While others may wake up early and finish their work quickly, to get the rest of the day off. “I get my work done in an hour, and then I have the rest of the day to myself.” Sophomore Kaleby Stevenson said. 

For some students who don’t have internet at home, AMI days could be hard. These students would have to go somewhere to get internet, or catch up on AMI work the next school day. “AMI days are a struggle with having no internet which causes me to have to stress and make it up at school.” Freshman Bailey Burnworth said. 

AMI days are a good way for teachers to stay connected with their students and keep what the students are learning fresh on their minds.

“I appreciate AMI days because I can still keep my students learning while we are not in class.” English teacher Teresa Arcisz said.