Enthusiastic musician gains respect of music teachers

Heather Terry
Junior Jayden Culbertson performs with his tuba for an OHC competition. Culbertson marched for the event in September of 2023.

Junior Jayden Culbertson excels in school music programs as a vocalist and instrumentalist and his music teachers know him to be an enthusiastic learner and dedicated student.

Culbertson is hoping to have a scholarship in vocal music by his senior year and has been working hard to achieve this goal; he has been in choir since his freshman year and playing the trumpet and tuba since sixth grade in middle school. 

His teachers say they love to have him in class and are grateful to have a student that is so encouraging to others as well as being invested in his work.

Both the choir and band teacher noted how Culbertson has a wonderful work ethic and is always willing to assist his teachers, whether it be breaking down equipment or simply giving 110% in every class.

When asked about talented students the first person to come to mind for vocal music teacher Deanna Schockmann was Culbertson. 

“I recommended Jayden because of his overall commitment to the music department and his ambition towards excellence,” Schockmann said.

“Enthusiasm for anything comes from the enjoyment you receive in doing it.  He obviously receives a lot of joy from music,” Schockmann said.

Overall, as a student he has been described as, “cooperative and fun loving,” by band director Sandra Stewart.

Stewart has only been leading the band program since August 2023, but she already has great appreciation for Culbertson: she loves to have him in her class.

Some students may feel satisfied after years of perfecting a craft, or perhaps become uninterested but Culbertson is, “often looking for an opportunity to expand his abilities,” Stewart said.

Stewart remarked about how his role is essential to the success of the band and Culbertson’s dedication to the program is appreciated.

“He hasn’t missed a single rehearsal or performance,” Stewart said.

His effort hasn’t gone unnoticed and already there has been recognition and compliments all around.

In his freshman year, Culbertson was able to place gold for his district choir competition and bronze at the state competition. 

Culbertson is the only student on tuba for the band so his playing is always distinguishable from any of the other students, and his contribution is greatly appreciated by his teachers. 

Despite being distinguishable, Culbertson loves working with his fellow students and often prefers to play his instruments in a group. 

“Jayden is the only person on tuba so I always know when he’s playing! I appreciate that he is willing to fill this important role,” Stewart said. 

His most developed genre, and personal favorite, would be eighties style singing. 

“Jayden is a quality person with a very high level of integrity which are characteristics that more people need,” Schockmann said.

He is a hardworking student and always goes to school with a positive attitude and ready to develop his skills. 

“My passion is to make musical art,” he said.

When he isn’t putting all of his effort into choir and band, Culbertson can be found working on the robotics team.

Culbertson advises other music students that “it may be hard at first but if you stick with it, it will get better.”