Students rush through lunch.

When the lunch bell rings, students rush out of classrooms and gather together with friends to head to the cafeteria to feed their hungry stomachs from four hours of  working. However, they don’t exactly get a relaxing amount of time to savor their food.
  Long lines in the cafeteria and a short amount of time in the schedule for eating, causes students to be crunched for time to eat.
     Students and teachers are divided into three lunch shifts, each 20 minutes long from 11:41 to 12:25 each day.
 Many students have even less time depending on their position in line. Some students with classrooms further away will have less time to eat their meal, although students with a closer classes will have extra time after eating and will sit around for the rest of their lunch shift.

“I am first in line because I have lifetime sports and it is by the lunchroom,” sophomore Robert Hensley said.

When some students are in the back of the line they have to wait for approximately around 5:21 minutes to sit down and eat. This cuts their lunchtime to about 15 minutes. This causes students to cut in line.

“Someone cut in front of me and I went to the office to inform them,”  junior Elijah Hurshman said.

Rushing and having high anxiety when students are eating will cause them to feel more hungry, and also eat faster, which can lead to obesity.

“Most Americans eat too fast, and, as a result, they take in too many calories before they realize they’ve eaten enough. It takes approximately 20 minutes from the time you start eating for your brain to send out signals of fullness. Leisurely eating allows ample time to trigger the signal from your brain that you are full. And feeling full translates into eating less,” said registered dietician and Master of public health Kathleen Zelman in her article “Slow Down, You Eat too Fast,” from webMD.

Some students feel as though they need to rush to the cafeteria to get their lunch without the hassle of long lines.  
 “I need to get there as quickly as I can and, if I don’t, then I will be waiting in line forever,” freshman David Brochart said.  
  Some students opt to avoid the line and eat food offered out of the snack bar.

“I don’t usually eat the school’s lunch. I usually eat from concession stand. I get a rib sandwich and or drink, or more and call that lunch.” freshman Grant Miller said.

It is a problem without an easy solution. To get more time for lunch, the school would need to expand the school day.

“If we expand the  time for each lunch shift,  then we have to expand 5th hour which mean we have to add on time to our school day,”  principal Randy Luebbert said. “Would I like to the kids more time to eat?  Absolutely. I wish we could work that in our schedule, ” Luebbert said.  

With the time that is given  that students get to eat their meal  students are thinking that they need to rush to be on time for the next class.

” I have to rush to eat because the bell’s gonna ring then am going to be late for class if I don’t hurry up,” sophomore Levi Trailer said.