Seniors take on one last prom

Senior Skylon Boone and date, junior Michael Garrett slow dance at prom one last time.

Prom kicked off on Saturday, April 20 at Margaritaville in Osage Beach, with 138 students and guests in attendance. The dance was themed “Island Getaway,” with many on-theme decorations. There was also food, music, a photobooth, a dance floor and even a surprise arcade trip. 

Prom decorations, theme ideas, layout, and fundraisers are all run by the junior class prom committee. Kimberly Pate, the junior class sponsor and indesign teacher, is the head of the successful production of prom. 

“We chose the theme because we wanted something formal, but also to invite a fun, cheery mood,” junior prom committee president Jaxson Deckard said. 

“I don’t pick anything for prom, I support it while the committee manages it,” Pate said. 

Senior Zane Huffman was announced prom king with Shelby “Jax” Todd as queen. 

“I was really happy that I won queen, it was something I really put myself out there to accomplish and it felt good to achieve that,” Todd said.

Seniors finally experienced their last prom, their last getting ready, picture taking, dancing with friends, and overall their last high school dance. 

“Prom was enjoyable this year, the food wasn’t bad, and the DJ knew what was up. My last prom was memorable,” senior Lovlie Haidsuek said. 

“It was so enjoyable, I beat everybody at skeeball. The surprise at the end was amazing,” senior Grace Drake said. 

“Prom wasn’t the best for me at the beginning, but by the end it calmed down and everything got better,” senior Nate Banfield said. 

A wide variety of colors were worn with many outfits being unique in the students’ own way. 

Senior Autum Walton wore sage green. “Everyone loves the color on me and so do I,” she said.

Senior Angela Konopasek wore orange. “I was trying to stay on theme,” she said. 

Haidusek wore pink. “It was the first dress I tried on that I liked,” she said.

In keeping with tradition, dinner was served at prom. The main dish was fried catfish served with lemons and Louisiana hot sauce, bone-in chicken with pineapple BBQ sauce, or pulled pork with a Carolina BBQ sauce. BBQ and bacon potato salad, cilantro lime coleslaw, corn on the cob, roasted new potatoes, and green beans with bacon and onion were the sides. Students finished their meal with a deep dish apple pie, cookie dough layer cake, or a vanilla crunch cake for the desert. 

“The potatoes were bussin,” Walton claimed. 

Many memories were created with each other, getting ready before the dance, taking pictures, and dancing on the dance floor together. Singing requested songs and letting loose for the night. 

“I thought the DJ was really upbeat and good, he was amazing,” Pate said. 

“The DJ wasn’t my favorite, if I could change one thing about prom it would be him,” Konopasek said. 

Around ten o’clock, an announcement was made about a “surprise.” All prom attendees were gathered around and taken downstairs for a free hour in the arcade, pool room, and lounge. 

Banfield claims, “playing pool was the best part of prom.”

“I enjoyed screaming my heart out on the dance floor while dancing around with my friends,” Haidusek said. 

Seniors took on prom one last time before continuing their lives past high school, a change of scenery, provided food, and memories being created while enjoying the little time left. A new chapter closes in many lives, as a new one begins to open. 

“I ended one of my biggest last senior events successfully, although it’s upsetting, I get to continue on with my life. I have tried to make the most memories and create the best I could in such a short time,” Drake said.