FFA students find joy in CDE and LDE competitions

PHOTO SUBMITTED
Seniors Erin Goodpaster, Autum Walton and Dallas Steinhoff attended FFA State Convention and were awarded with State FFA Degrees on April 19. “I am excited to accept this award,” Goodpaster said.

FFA contests create opportunities for students interested in agricultural careers.

“Career Development Events are conducted to motivate students to learn more about the industry of Agriculture. When students dive deeper into learning about Agriculture they gain an appreciation for it and want to be involved in agriculture in the future,” FFA adviser and agriculture teacher Amanda Smith said.

This year, freshmen Jordan Dove and Jenna Gerken participated in FFA Knowledge, while sophomore Jessie Bilderback, senior Erin Goodpaster, sophomore Jovi Robertson, junior Nate Griffin, and sophomore Brayden Henderson competed in Dairy Foods. 

“They (dairy foods team) received a silver rating at districts. Jovi was 7th place high individual. They also competed at the SW Round Up and placed 11th as a team and Jovi placed in the top 25,” Smith said. 

Freshman Jenna Gerken competed for the first time this year. 

“It was a very enlightening experience, with the high point being to listen to the Area FFA speakers talk and the new Area officers being sworn in,” Gerken said. 

The dairy foods team had a very successful season.

“We had a good season, only missing state qualifications by a few places,” Goodpaster said.

State FFA was April 17th-19th. Three FFA seniors accepted their state degree on the last day of convention. Those seniors included Dallas Steinhoff, Autum Walton, and Erin Goodpaster. All three are officers as well.

“We had to complete our state degree application and make sure our record books held the information that met the requirements. I am really excited and honored to receive this award. I worked hard all four years to gain it,” Walton said.

“I’m excited to gain this accomplishment. It demonstrates all the hard work I did over the course of four years,” Steinhoff said.