Baseball team focuses on attitude and teamwork in postseason

Junior pitcher Garrett Ferguson pitches the ball from the windup motion. Ferguson was the number two pitcher on varsity this season.

The baseball team has had a bumpy season, they started off the year hot but they have lost games against teams that they feel that they could have beaten

“I feel like we accomplished a little at the beginning of the season after winning the Odessa tournament championship, but we haven’t played to our full potential because we have lost to some teams that we shouldn’t have lost to,” junior pitcher Josh Bunch said. 

Players were disappointed in their loses against, the Versailles Tigers (9-11),

Eldorado Springs Bulldogs (1-5), Butler Bears (0-4), and Clinton Cardinals (7-9).

With the season and school year coming to an end, seniors are playing their last ever high school sports. The baseball team started the year with three seniors on the team, but they are going to be finishing the season with only one senior. Senior first baseman Devon Boul has faced some obstacles this season as he has dealt with a hurt shoulder after a fall during a run to first base. Even though Boul has had to overcome a hurt shoulder this year, he still has many memories that he has created and will cherish throughout high school baseball. 

“My favorite memory is when I hit a 375 foot single in the Arkansas tournament,”

senior first baseman Devon Boul said.

Playoff baseball is right around the corner for the Wildcats, they have been preparing physically and mentally to go out and show the district what the Cats are made of, they have been working hard to take the team to the next level.

“We need to work on our attitudes, not making errors on routine plays in the field, we need to be able to compete at the plate, and we need to be clutch when it comes down to crucial moments,” junior second baseman Drake Murrell said.

“We need to be sticking together as a team, not bring each other down, we need to hit the ball on the ground, and be able to field easy plays,” sophomore pitcher Ryan Fajen said.

The Wildcats will be losing one senior after this season, so the majority of the team will be back next season, and the majority will be seniors next year. Having a team full of seniors will make an impact in many ways. 

“Most of the juniors this year will have all four years of varsity baseball plus the majority of us have been playing together since tee ball and machine pitch, which will help with the experience and chemistry  aspect of the game. We will be built for the moment,” junior third baseman Garrett Ferguson said. 

While the players were focused on playing their best baseball in the 2024 season, the junior-heavy team is also looking forward to things they can do next season.

“An advantage of the whole line up mostly being seniors next season, that means that we could potentially be a very hard team to beat due to the fact that we have all been playing for multiple years together,” junior right fielder Bradley Watson said.