State archers find enjoyment beyond sport

Sophomore Wesley Jackson takes aim at a bullseye. Jackson shot at the state competition this season.

The 2023-2024 archery season has come to an end. Many archers qualified for state multiple years in a row, while some qualified for the first time. A lot of students expressed how they were able to make many memories alongside their friends this season. 

“I enjoy doing archery so much because I do it with my friends and get to hang out with them a lot,” freshman Levi Bilderback said. 

This year’s team qualified 10 students for state. Seniors Alyson Alcantara, Elliot Kowal, juniors Eastynn Holt, Drake Murrell, sophomores Wesley Jackson, Daytona Kinnan, Henry Breshears, and freshmen Levi Bilderback, Barron Ward, and Tommy Kaufmann. 

“I’ve been involved in archery for four years now, so getting to state my freshman year was very rewarding,” Bilderback said. 

Although WHS didn’t have any archers come out on top in state, there was lots of hard work and effort put into leading up to the state match. 

“I did okay at state, I shot a 269 with a bullseye,” Kowal said. Kowal has been involved in archery for six years now and this was his fifth time going to state. 

“I really encourage other students for upcoming years to do archery because it’s fun and a cool experience,” Kowal said. 

“I also would encourage students to shoot archery especially whenever I see potential,” head archery coach Jackie Downing said. Downing has been coaching the archery team for almost two decades. 

“When they first started it, we just started as PE teachers and just took them from class, and now we have a team,” Downing said. The archery team competed quite a bit this year, while having one home archery meet. 

As the team grows more and more every year, students reflect on why they continue this sport. 

“I continue to do it because it’s just a fun thing to throw into my schedule and I enjoy it,” Murrell said. 

Archery gives students many opportunities, especially for building bonds with fellow teammates. 

“I think there’s a lot more to archery rather than just shooting. You get to be with a lot of your friends a lot and get to do what you enjoy,” Jackson said. Coming out of this year’s season, students and coaches encourage others to join next year’s team.