Track athletes break school records, head to postseason

Senior Nate Banfield competes in the javelin event. Earlier in the year he broke the school record with a distance of 48.01 meters

As the track season comes to an end for most athletes some continue to compete after qualifying at district and sectional contests.  May 4 was districts and the team finished 4th overall at Holden. 

This track season has gone very well for the Cats. They have finished first place three times, and have been top twelve in every track meet. The team has broken multiple records this season and are hoping to break more. Some of the records that have been broken are, 4×200 meter relay, including sophomore Gauge Long, sophomore  Kaleb Ragle, junior Mason Anderson, junior Shane Poyser; Javelin, broken by senior Nate Banfield; 2000m steeplechase, broken by sophomore Wesley Jackson; and the 400m broken by sophomore Kaleb Ragle.

Although some athletes have not broken school records they are really pleased with how their season is going and the things they have accomplished.

“I have finished first a lot this year in the hurdles and got a personal record,” senior Angela Konopasek said.  

She also reflected on the past few years and expressed how she has been so successful and hard working.

“I have been successful because I have been working extremely hard and trying my best to stay consistent,” said Konopasek.

Gauge Long, Kaleb Ragle, Mason Anderson, and Shane Poyser run the 4x200m relay and broke the previous school record (1:36.60 from 2003) with a new record of 1:36.18 and have come close to breaking that record multiple times. 

I felt like I could eat the entire buffet at Asian buffet,” junior Mason Anderson said

So far, the boys team had come home with three first place wins. They took first in Versailles, Stockton, and the Warsaw meet they had hosted. Going into districts the team shares a desire of making it to the final four. That being said, the girls also have goals for themselves and as a team as they enter the postseason. 

“I am hoping to improving in discus and as a team

One of the many school records broken this year include javelin, the previous record held by Ty Williams with a distance of 46.57m in 2022. The new record was broken this year by senior Nate Banfield with a distance of 48.01m. He qualified for sectionals with a distance of 43.36 meters.

With the 2024 track season coming to an end there has been lots of growth and success, including multiple school records being broken, player personal records being broken and lots of memories made.

“I enjoy watching the growth of all the athletes throughout the season,” Head Track Coach Cody Morgan said.