Game time focuses baseball players on continued improvement as they go into conference tournament

Junior+Drake+Murrell%2C+at+second+base%2C+is+ready+on+defense.+The+cats+played+Tipton+on+April+17%2C+unfortunately+ending+with+a+score+of+2-12.+
Haylee Cobb
Junior Drake Murrell, at second base, is ready on defense. The cats played Tipton on April 17, unfortunately ending with a score of 2-12.

Managing multiple games in one week, the baseball team, has been hard at work earning a winning record this season.

The Wildcat baseball team went into the conference tournament last week with a 15-5 winning record and is looking forward to Class Three District 13 tournament  May 13th-15th. Despite a few disappointing losses to Lafayette County, El Dorado Springs and Tipton, the team rallied with a 15-5 win against Skyline on April 22.

Players say the busy game schedule helps them improve throughout the season.

“I think it helps because then I have more time and get more reps during games to fix what I’m bad at so I am ready for districts,” senior Devon Boul said. 

“You get to play against the teams you would play against in districts, so it somewhat gives you  a heads up on how the team will be,” junior Bradley Watson said.

“It helps us see different pitchers and competition to prepare,” sophomore Joshua Harvath said.

This season holds a lot of important or rivalry games. Such as Butler, Skyline, Lincoln, and Cole Camp. The Cats defeated all four of those teams.

Sophomore Brennen Slavens said the Skyline game was an important game for the players. “There is a bunch of tension between us and the players there, so it is a big rivalry game,” he said.

The Wildcats came off two straight home losses against the Lafayette County Cornhuskers, and the Tipton Cardinals. The Cats look forward to bouncing back from losses.  

Players have their own traditions and way of preparing for their games. They set their minds right before each game to get prepared and ready. 

“Pound an energy drink and listen to music,” Boul said. 

“I like to get some good chants going,” Watson said.

Coaches provide the support that is needed, giving each player the best they can. This season is coached by head coach John Eierman, and Assistant coaches Gage Boise and Brad Jelinek.

“As a coaching staff, we are happy with how we’ve started the season. Our pitchers have really pitched well and competed. Our defense has been great in the games we’ve won. Our hitting has been solid and is going to get better as the guys get more at bats. We are looking forward to seeing how things shake out in the next few weeks,” Eierman said. 

The coaches focus on identifying weaknesses to improve players and the team as a whole.

“Confidence could be better. All of our players have physical tools to have a great run in districts, it will come down to whether or not they believe in themselves and their ability,” Boise said. 

Looking forward to what is left of the season, sophomore Ryan Fajen said he and his team will put in the work. These players have been playing three games a week, leaving only two practices.

“I will put better work in and get in the weight room, as well as work on everything, even if it is something I am good at,” Sophomore Ryan Fajen said.