Softball team continues winning streak

Garrett Ferguson
Freshman Madyson Reimund takes infield as a third baseman for the Lady Cats versus Lone Jack.

Excitement is high for the WHS softball team as their success this season has resulted in a 21 game winning streak and a ranking as second in state in Class 2A. 

Head coaches Kelli Eierman and Megan Daleske encourage their players to put in the time and effort everyday. 

“One of our main focuses this year is that pressure is privilege. We are continuously looking for ways to provide pressure at practices so that when game time rolls around we are ready,” Eierman said. 

The team is hot this year after winning against Fair Grove in the Buffalo tournament championship game 12-0. Another big win they had this season was versus Skyline with a score of 10-0. Recently, they beat Fair Grove 13-9 and were first seed for the conference tournament. They practice the most they can to fix any mistakes they feel they should work on. The team is getting prepared for districts one practice at a time. 

Districts are coming around and the softball team is preparing day by day. There are different ways that the players can achieve their goals and improve to get ready. 

“Every day we are working on the skills it takes to be prepared for post-season softball. We try our best to get just a little better every practice and game so that by May we are playing our best softball,” Daleske said. 

Players have all tried to work hard as a team to get to where they need to be for districts. Not only do they want to improve as a team, but as individuals. 

“I just try to put in the most work on and off the field, while also praying before each game,” sophomore catcher Tanna Howe said. 

Howe practices outside of school as well, to continue to see results as a player. She originally plays as a middle infielder, but says she is a catcher for the high school team and does anything it takes for them to win. 

These players are very dedicated to their team and take a lot of advice from others. Motivation is key to success and to grow as a person. 

“Something I remember from my coaches as a player is to always stay positive no matter the situation,” senior third baseman Grace Drake said. The players take in the most knowledge through their coaches and teammates to carry on forever.  

Many players have a connection with this sport as a whole. 

“I have always loved softball, I’ve played this sport practically my whole life. It’s who I am and it is just another love that I can’t explain,” Howe said. Brewster agrees with this as well, she states that she grew up playing with Howe on the same travel teams. 

Players are adding memorable moments this season. 

“My favorite memory so far is definitely hitting the winning homerun against Buffalo in their tournament. The excitement was so surreal between my teammates, myself, and coaches,” Howe said. 

The Lady Cats have seen a lot of young talent make their way into the varsity line up this season. 

“I felt pressure as a freshman on varsity trying to keep my spot with junior Carly Price competing with me for the first base position,” freshman first baseman Elizabeth Winters said. 

The underclassmen have played a huge role in helping out the team. 

“I believe the underclassmen stepped up and filled the roles that were really needed on both offense and defense this year,” junior shortstop Haylee Cobb said.