School starts building-wide policy to decrease phones in halls during class time

Since phones are quite common in classrooms, many administrators and teachers are having issues with them being used during instructional time and during school hours.
Many teachers recognize that phones are distracting in the classroom.
“I think that phones are a huge distraction for students. Students are constantly trying to look at their phones instead of paying attention to the teacher,” history teacher Matt Dove said, “When work is assigned, they would rather watch videos or movies than do the work, which leads to missing assignments.”
There are very few school-wide rules when it comes to student phone usage. Recently, administration has required teachers to have students leave phones in the classroom before leaving during class time. As per building rules, phones are not allowed in the bathrooms or locker rooms. As far as classroom usage, it is at the discretion of the teacher. To combat what they see as a growing issue in their classrooms, some teachers have enforced more strict rules when it comes to phone use.
“My rule is that when I am giving notes the phones are supposed to go in a box on the table or in their pockets. A couple years ago, I made a compromise with my students that when doing work I would allow them to listen to music,” Dove said. “This, however, has turned into listening to videos or movies and students trying to listen to music while I am giving notes.”
Dove said he is now considering a more strict phone policy for next year.

According to a recent survey, of 70 students, 97.1 percent of them reported bringing a phone to school. While only 88.6 percent reported that they use their phones during class. 43.5 percent of phone usage is music. 15.9 percent of students use their phones for social media.
Some teachers have made “phone jails” or “phone day-care” to combat phone use in classrooms.
Many in the student body disagree with the administration and the teachers on phone rules.
“I think if people are gonna be on their phones they will be, a rule like that will not stop them from being on them,” junior Rachael Hawkins said.
Many of the students don’t like leaving their phones in the classroom to go anywhere.
“I think they’re (the phone rules) stupid and they’re not going to stop any original behaviors the administration was concerned about,” freshman Sam Crain said.
Some students semi-agree with the rules.
“I think the rules are smart, but I don’t like it because we have to leave our phones and have to remember to,” freshman Brooklyn Jackman said. “There are many times when I have almost walked out of the classroom with my phone on me.”
“I think it’s a smart idea about the rules because it makes kids not able to hangout in the halls,” sophomore Skylon Boone said.
Phones can be an issue, not only due to use in hallways and bathrooms, but because they distract students while in the classroom.
“With our school going one-to-one with Chromebooks, I don’t think the use for phones in the classroom is needed. I think there are so many ways that a phone draws student attention away from the instruction via text, Snapchats, TikTok, etc,” principal Danny Morrison said.
The problem is getting so bad that the staff and administration have even discussed a phone ban.
“The discussion of banning phones in the classroom has occurred, but has not been implemented,” Morrison said.
The new phone rules have been effective with fewer students wandering the halls.