Winter weather challenges student drivers

Gracie Miller
Junior Anna Zimmerman poses for a photo in front of her vehicle. Zimmerman prefers driving in the summer rather than driving in the winter.

Winter weather is difficult for inexperienced and experienced drivers. 

“Winter weather can present conditions that can cause problems for inexperienced drivers. Snow and/or ice-covered roads can be very treacherous even for experienced drivers,” resource officer David Fajen said.

Many students feel that driving in the winter weather can be dangerous, and the safest way to travel in bad weather is by preparing safety kits in case of emergency.       

“When driving in snow or ice, it is best to take extra precautions and prepare an emergency kit full of items in case you get stranded or an incident occurs,” junior Kathryn Lomax said.

Kane and Silverman, a law firm website (palegaladvice.com), advices that some items to put in an emergency kit are blankets, gloves and other winter clothing, a small shovel, sturdy ice scraper, snow brush, emergency flares or reflectors, rock salt, sand, or kitty litter, a first aid kit, extra windshield washer fluid, flashlights, rope or chain, jumper cables, a small tool kit, water, non-perishable snacks, and a phone charger.

When driving in the snow/ice, the vehicle must be completely controlled; it is safest to eliminate the use of cruise control. The AAA Exchange website says, it is not advised to use cruise control in rain, snow, hail, sleet, or ice; any of these variables can affect the vehicle’s speed and cause it to skid or spin, resulting in an accident.

Some students avoid driving in snow unless they have to. This allows them to be as safe as possible during the winter season. 

“I chose to stay in when it snows because I don’t wanna risk getting in an accident,” junior Anna Zimmerman said.

Other students pay closer attention and slow down the acceleration and deceleration rates. 

“If the weather is bad and I know that there is going to be ice on the road, I drive slowly and pay closer attention to see if there is black ice on the road and look for spots with the most traction,” senior Dallas Steinhoff said.

Weather.com defines black ice as “a thin coat of highly transparent ice that can lead to hazardous driving conditions,”  

The village of Niles says, if the vehicle starts to slide on black ice, the best thing to do is remove foot from the pedal, do not slam the brakes, and turn the wheel toward the skid.