Musical memories part of high school experience

Seniors Damian Fogle, Olivia Langton and Julie Huckaby prepare to sing at state contest. They were part of the Senior SAB group, which earned a silver rating at state.

Being part of the WHS music program through the years provided seniors with both successes, challenges and enjoyable experiences with students who had a common interest in performing arts.

Perrie Judd, Aiden Andrews, Brieanna Fenlon, Samantha Pearman, Damian Fogle, and Summer McCannon are all seniors that have worked extremely hard to make Warsaw Band successful. While Reece Brazel, Damian Fogle, Julie Huckaby, Hudson Karr, Olivia Langton, Ellie Murrell, Jesse Parker, Logan Schockmann, and Samantha Pearman have made a deep impact on choir’s success over the past four years. 

Some of the seniors’ favorite memories were going to Nashville with Madrigal last year, while others are going with superintendent Scott Gemes to Memphis, Tennessee with the band to perform in the Liberty Bowl. 

“I think this year’s Memphis trip was a really cool experience. Although we had lots of hiccups, it was really fun to go do that as a team,” Judd said. 

Vocal Music director, Deanna Schockmann, said she has appreciated the leadership and dedication this group of seniors has contributed to the program. She recognized their growth as musicians and as people.

“All the seniors have improved over their high school career in a variety of ways. Confidence, contributions, skillset. Logan Schockmann has achieved the highest level of success, but all of them have achieved success in choir. Each one of them has pushed themselves out of their comfort zones. They’ve all been part of a team that works hard but has so much fun doing it!  Their dedication to this program is bar none.  Our ratings at the contest, our performances with musical and other concerts are evidence of their strong leadership,” she said.

One senior, Logan Schockmann, earned one of the highest honors of high school vocal music with his selection for  Missouri All-State Choir in 2022 and 2023. Schockmann hopes to continue his music performance at Drury University. 

Other seniors have contributed to the music programs as well.

“My biggest accomplishment is that I had to combine the synth 1 and synth 2 parts for our marching band piece, which meant I was technically playing a duet all by myself, my biggest role however was in Psalm 51 for choir where I had a quartet with Hudson, Logan and Jesse as well as a descant at the end all by myself,” Brazel said. 

“My biggest role in the band has been being the color guard captain for two years. I’d say my biggest accomplishment in choir has been getting gold in all of my state solos and small ensemble,”  said Pearman.

Senior Samantha Pearman will attend State Fair Community College and will take courses in vocal and instrumental music. She was a vocalist and a percussionist at WHS. 

“I haven’t had much time here, but all the seniors regularly contribute to our success and I appreciate their willingness to always do more than asked,” said band director Matthew Tilus. 

Tilus was added to the faculty right after Christmas break and has been working hard in the classroom with these students. 

“More than anything, I hope the seniors will keep a love for all things music, and keep a part of this activity beyond their time in high school,” said Tilus.