Students celebrate Heritage Days

Sophomore Mikayla Andrews takes a break from being a pioneer. Andrews participated in the living history at Heritage Days. Photo submitted.

Whether they dress up in period attire to participate in the living history, perform with the choir, go craft shopping, or just visit the exhibitors, Warsaw’s annual fall celebration involves many students who have made it part of their annual tradition.

“My friend and I take a traditional picture with the same pose every year, sadly this is our last year,” senior Bridget Clarke said. Clarke and senior Madison Lane perform with the choir each year at Heritage Days and always take a picture in their flannel, jeans and boots.

The choir performed at the Harbor at noon on Sunday.

There were many activities to participate in during Heritage Days weekend, such as going to the Overlook for pioneer reenactments, or the Harbor and the community building for crafts, or even the car show at Maples’ Ford.

Senior Rickie Branson said her favorite activity at Heritage Days is “Drinking hot apple cider and walking the trails at the Overlook searching for neat crafts to buy.”

At the Overlook during Heritage Days, it’s like walking back in time to the 1800’s. A few students participate in re-creating that living history.

“I do it to watch other people’s expressions as we play the role of our own character; it is fun telling the stories and giving people their own sense of home as if they were part of the time as well,” sophomore Cora Rodgers said. Rodgers plays the part as an old school house teacher herself and sophomore Mikayla Andrews ran a spelling bee at the old school house last year.

Junior  Noah Long is a part of the living history each year. He plays the part of the Lye Soap maker. His family makes and sells soap each day of the festival.

Since the living history is a big part of Heritage Days, many students enjoy it.

“The ax throwing and the Indian recitals the teepees’ are the best,”  senior Derek Wright said.

Some students help out during Heritage Days as well.

“FFA distributes the bus passes to people, we put the wrist bands on for them and just help visitors out in general,” sophomore Breanna Riggs said.

Some students have fond memories of Heritage Days as a kid.

“I remember being in K-Kids; the performance there was always so much fun,” freshman Allison Thomas said.

Senior Kylie McRoberts mentioned she remembered getting fudge from the Community Building when she was little

Many students enjoy the food choices that come with Heritage Days, eating all the kettle corn is what junior Haven Johnson said she loved.

After the kettle corn vendors, crafters, and living history actors gathered up their things to leave, students know it will only be one short year until they can once again relive the past.