Students, staff express holiday spirit through Chirstmas movies

Mady Reimund
Special education teacher Jackie Whitaker shows of her favorite Christmas movie “Christmas Vacation.” She likes this movie because it take her back to when she was younger.

Whether it is the warm and fuzzy endings or the memories they create, holiday movies are cherished among WHS students and faculty.  

Freshman Cash Davis said that his favorite Christmas movie is “Daddy’s Home 2.” 

“I enjoy watching this movie because it gets me in the holiday spirit,” he said. “I think that watching holiday movies makes Christmas feel special.” 

There are a lot of holiday/Christmas movies that people cherish.  According to a survey of 78 students, 23.1% said the most popular holiday movie is “A Nightmare Before Christmas.”

Coming in second is “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” with 16.7%.

Special education teacher Jackie Whitaker said that her favorite movie is “Christmas Vacation.” 

“I like watching Christmas Vacation because it’s always been a traditional watch,” Whitaker said. 

Pam Rutledge, PhD, from the Fielding Graduate University School of Psychology reported that there are many physical and psychological benefits in watching Christmas movies.  “There are several benefits from a journey into Christmas movie land. Holiday movies can boost mood and relieve symptoms of depression by providing an escape from daily stressors and increasing perspective-taking. They are heart-healthy, reducing stress hormones like cortisol that can damage the cardiovascular and immune systems. Positive emotions, like hope, joy, and gratitude, can stir personal and social reflection and inspire new activities and goals. Sharing a movie increases intimacy and can even improve relationships. And they are easy, uncomplicated, and have happy endings,” Rutledge wrote.

“Christmas movies are designed to activate emotional resonance through nostalgia. They rely on our desire to visit the ‘good old days’ with images, stories, and music that stimulate our sentimental and wistful associations from the past. Christmas movies remind us of times in our lives that were simple, hopeful, fun, and happy,” Rutledge writes.

Countless students also think that Christmas movies bring positive outcomes.

“I love watching holiday movies because it brings out the vibe,” senior Conner Mays said.

Not only does watching a holiday movie make students excited for the Christmas season. But also brings them to enjoy a holiday snack.

Whitaker said that her favorite holiday snack is kettle corn. Freshman Cash Davis said that his favorite holiday movie snack is milk and Oreos.

“I feel like holiday movies do a wonderful job of setting an overall tone for the season. I am a firm believer that the content we consume affects our choices and actions, so I am all for encouraging seasonal movies that so heavily feature companionship among one another. Humanitarianism aside, they’re just so perfect for a cozy Saturday night! Who can resist the temptation of an evening playing Rankin/Bass with fuzzy socks and  a cup of hot chocolate? Count me in!” sophomore Aleah Minks said.