Team hopes to improve on the court while maintaining close bonds

Senior Rachel Henderson shoots free throws after being fouled in the Jamboree game against the Weaubleau Tigers.

Athletes are not only looking to improve their game and add wins to their record in their 23-24 season, but they also plan to continue to make close bonds as a team.

The girls basketball season has started under head coach Matt Henderson and assistant coaches Brent Shaffer and Kyle Singley. Shaffer is new to the coaching staff this season.

The girls plan to improve their previous record from last year that ended 6-22. 

There are 17 girls and seven returning players; seniors Rachel Henderson, Angela Konpasek, Grace Drake, junior Keira Mostaffa, sophomores Jessie Bilderback, Tanna Howe, and Hailey Ferguson are back from last year. 

This year they have added a promising freshman class of eight athletes, Maylee Slavens, Madison Reimund, Sara Miller, Aleanah Yoder, Jenna Gerken, Isabella Schwartz, Haven Newell, and Jordan Dove all looking for varsity playing time. 

A lot of people are excited to have this freshman class. They have brought a lot of potential and skill to the team. They have also added a large number to the basketball team.

“Having such young talent makes this season so exciting and knowing that we have great attitudes all around,” senior post Grace Drake said. 

“Some personal goals I have set for myself are to be a leader and a role model to the younger girls. The four years I have been playing high school basketball, I’ve had some pretty rough senior groups… I hope that we can make a change and show the younger girls, we are equal and all deserve the same amazing opportunities. We cannot win and play well if we spend our time tearing each other down and putting out negative energy,” senior post Rachel Henderson said.

Coach Henderson said one of his goals for the team is to draw more charges.   

“Drawing a charge is the most selfless thing you can do in the game of basketball,” Coach Henderson said.

The girls had their jamboree in Weaublea on Nov. 14. They played Climax Springs, Weaubleau, and Humansville. 

Overall it was good, we learned what we need to work on. Now we know what we need to work on before our first game, Mostaffa said. 

Beyond the court, athletes say they love the family atmosphere of the team. 

“This group hustles. This group is genuine. This group loves one another. I have never felt so much like a family,” senior point guard Angela  Konopasek said.

The girls are supporting their head coach this season as his daughter, Lovely, struggles with a rare condition. They have decided to dedicate their season to this special girl that they considered their own. Athletes have purchased purple shoes and “Isn’t She Lovely” shirts to show their support.

“I think, especially with coach Henderson being our head coach, it is our job as the players to make his time at practice and games as easy and enjoyable as we can. Lovely’s story has impacted so many people, especially us girls. We are going to play our hardest and push ourselves to the limit, for Coach and her,” Rachel Hendererson said.

“We are dedicating our season to Lovely by reminding ourselves that the game is so small compared to what some people are facing,” Konopasek said. “I remind myself daily that I have no reason to ever complain about practice because at least I get to wake up and go everyday. I do it for Lovely,” Konopasek said. 

They started their season off on Nov.17 at Lone Jack, which is a new team on their regular season schedule. This year the girls will play in three tournaments: the Warsaw Tournament the week of Nov. 27, Skyline Tournament the week of Jan. 6, and the Osceola Invitational Tournament the week of Jan. 22.