Love of basketball fuels dedicated players at start of season

Junior+Logan+Gemes+goes+in+for+a+three+point+shot+during+the+game+against+Lone+Jack+Mules.+Gemes+made+the+shot%2C+receiving+two+points+for+his+team.+
Aubree smith
Junior Logan Gemes goes in for a three point shot during the game against Lone Jack Mules. Gemes made the shot, receiving two points for his team.

The boys basketball team has started playing games for their 2023/24 season and the athletes who chose to play with the team this season are enjoying just playing the game they love.   

“It gives me a way to feel accomplished whenever I do good. I enjoy leading a team and pushing people,” junior Logan Gemes said. 

“I want to be as good as my brother and to have something to do after school,” freshman Cash Davis said.

Players worked hard to prepare for the start of a good season. These boys have worked throughout the summer and in their free time. 

“I did summer weights and workouts in my free time,” sophomore Luke Henderson said. 

There are also a lot of guys that use basketball as an escape from reality, or a way to clear the thoughts running through their head. 

Many of the players have been playing since they could dribble a ball. Some of the past players have stopped playing to experience different sports for multiple different reasons. The boys have a lot more younger players this year. They work with what they have to do the best they can throughout the season. 

The players have made team and personal goals for the season.

Gemes said he hopes to “get more wins and personally improve shooting percentage and get some more assists.”    

“I want to improve and get on a varsity sport,” Davis said.   

Coach Matthew Brownsburger said his goal for the team is “to improve and play our best basketball at the end of the season. More importantly, that we are good people on and off the court.”