Young volleyball team celebrates improvements

PHOTO ASHLYNN ADAMS
The team celebrates as they scored against Lincoln. The Lady Cats beat Lincoln (3-0) on August 29th.

Nine freshmen walked into Warsaw’s volleyball program for the 2023 season with key skills that will be used to further improve the overall talent over the next couple of seasons. 

“Even though we do have a predominantly young team, what makes this year’s group so special is the leadership that we have across the board. Our upperclassmen have been great leaders this year and have been working hard to turn a positive light on our program. This year’s group has such a drive to better themselves and the program that it is a refreshing experience that brings much needed excitement and optimism to our future,” Coach Kelsi Brosnahan said.

This year’s freshman class includes Mady Reimund, Maylee Slavens, Sara Miller, Karly Keele, Haven Newell, Lillianna Perez, Alivia Morrison, Elizabeth Winters, and Brianna Fellers. Seniors Laney Arnett, Angela Konopasek, and Jaylen McCullick stepped onto the court for a final season. More players who returned were junior Haylee Cobb, sophomores Tanna Howe, Hailey Ferguson, Gracie Miller, Kaleby Stevenson, Sadie Chapman, and Adison Sherrill.

“We have come together, we all have gotten thrown into different positions and lineups but we still stay aggressive and most importantly we stay positive,” Cobb said. 

Many of the underclassmen have expressed how much they are going to miss the seniors who just ended their final WHS season.

I’m really gonna miss all three seniors. Laney is a huge leader, she works hard and it shows. Angela is an amazing leader as well, she’s really nice and kind to everyone. Jaylen is a great leader. I wish I had her mindset in games. All three of them are leaders to be honest, and they all work pretty well together and are a good trio,” Stevenson said.

The Lady Cats ended the season with a record of (5-16). They won the first round of the district tournament against Center (3-1). This was a big accomplishment as it was the first post-season win in many years for the team. 

“I could not be more proud, excited, and optimistic for each one of these athletes this year. It has been fun to watch our athletes continue to grow into the confident and capable volleyball players that they are,” Brosnahan said.

“Our record and the numbers on the score board doesn’t always mean everything. No one sees the work that we put in and the love and heart there is for the game and our teammates on the court!” McCullick said.