Golf team finds success as seniors wind up final season

Senior Coehen Walton, sophomore Carter Howell, and junior Carson Bonner take a picture after getting All-Conference medals. Walton took 6th, Howell took 9th, and Bonner took 3rd.

Seniors have enjoyed their time on the course as a representative of WHS golf and have contributed to the success of the team.

“It has been my best year, so it’s been pretty good,” senior Coehen Walton said. 

“I felt like we had a good number of players improve as the season went on,” Coach Dennis Larson said. 

Some of the athletes are upset that their last season of golf is coming to an end.

“I am sad that my senior golf season has come to an end because I have really enjoyed being on this team for the past four years,’ senior Ashlyn Laue said. 

Others aren’t bothered. 

“Honestly, the season coming to an end hasn’t really affected me yet because it doesn’t feel like the year’s over,” Walton said.

There were many positives for this season’s golf team along with three of the athletes getting All-Conference. Those athletes include, senior Coehen Walton, junior Carson Bonner, and sophomore Carter Howell.  

“Getting All-Conference as a sophomore was a goal of mine for this season, I think it showed my teammates and myself my growth as a golfer from my freshman to sophomore year,” Howell said. 

Some advice the seniors have to give have inspired underclassmen. 

“Don’t get angry at yourself, you will eventually get better,” Walton said. 

“Just keep your eyes on the ball and you’re good to go,” Laue said. 

A big part in the golf team’s success would be their coach, Dennis Larson. 

“I would say my favorite part about coaching would be going out and playing golf with the kids during practice,” Larson said. “With our stats I would say we’ve had players shoot their best this year compared to the past years. Their averages for nine holes have improved as well,” Larson said. 

Larson’s advice to seniors moving forward would be, “Golf is a game you can play for a very long time. Enjoy the game!”

As the season ends, the team has new goals set for next season after seeing how far they’ve come this season. 

“I definitely improved from last season,but I think there’s still a lot of room for more improvement for my next upcoming seasons,” Howell said. 

“A goal I had was to compete in conference and finish higher than we have in the past years. This year we finished second and I told the kids next year our goal is to get first,” Larson said.