New drivers learn to be safe as they take to the roads

New+Driver+Dakota+Todd+is+ready+to+get+on+the+road+aware+of+the+precautions+he+needs+to+take+to+stay+safe.+

Carter Howell

New Driver Dakota Todd is ready to get on the road aware of the precautions he needs to take to stay safe.

Students are becoming new drivers each day. With that being said, it can be difficult to get used to the different challenges of driving. Along with that there’s also a lot of precautions to be taken. 

“Driving and gaining a little bit of freedom is very exciting for young people. However, life can change in a single moment. I fear that young drivers often don’t realize how quickly their life can be taken or negatively impacted by careless decisions that are made when they begin driving,” English teacher Amber Glenn said. 

Not just for new drivers, but for all drivers it’s important for everyone to be cautious of their surroundings at all times. New drivers are discovering how quickly a situation can become dangerous on the road as they gain experience.

“I’ve had one really close call, being after school. I was driving home and a truck pulled out in front of me almost causing me to go in the ditch,” sophomore Dakota Todd said. 

“I haven’t gotten in an accident, but someone almost hit me once while they were merging,” sophomore Brylee Brewster said.

New drivers are discovering how important it is to be aware of other drivers and being able to react quickly if something goes wrong.

“A precaution I take is I am always looking for anyone who tries to get in my way,” sophomore Josh Bunch said. 

“Always put on your seatbelt first! My other piece of advice is to put your cell phone in the back seat. Stay off your cell phone while driving, this could save your life and the lives of others, too,” Math teacher Amy Spunaugle said. 

“I would advise young drivers to slow down, avoid distractions, and always be aware of other drivers on the road. I was taught that being a defensive driver is key. Always anticipate what the other vehicle will do. You may be the most cautious, attentive driver, but you need to be prepared to react to drivers that aren’t as careful as you may be,” Glenn said.