Wrestlers push for improvement as season starts

Senior Hudson Karr (144) grabs his opponent’s leg in his match at the Warsaw dual on Dec. 8. The dual served as senior night.

Wrestlers prepared for months for the 2022-2023 season and have kept pushing for improvement as the season started. 

Many wrestlers played football to stay in shape and get their bodies conditioned and ready for the season. 

“To prepare for the season, I had a couple of camps during the summer and I also went to summer weights,” senior Hudson Karr said.

This year, Warsaw wrestlers are working with new head coach Justin Wisdom. Wisdom has previously coached at Willow Springs. He has high expectations from his athletes this season.

“Our goal is to put our wrestlers in the best positions to be successful.  We want to provide an environment for our athletes to thrive. Our goal for our athletes is to enjoy the sport and get them excited about what wrestling can do for them as an athlete, but more importantly, a young man/woman of our community,” Wisdom said. 

While Wisdom is coming to Warsaw from a much bigger program he sees a lot of potential in Warsaw athletes.

“Size is Number 1, we had anywhere from 200-250 from youth to high school at my last school, here we have around 110.  It was a large school district, so more kids to pull from.  The level of competition will be greatly different as well.  One thing Warsaw has to offer is tough, hard working kids; you can push kids to be tough and work hard, but when it’s already ingrained in them it makes things a little easier,” Wisdom said.

The Wildcats had their first tournament of the season on Dec. 3 in Knob Noster. Seniors Hudson Karr (144) and Coehen Walton (138) placed fifth in their weight classes, each winning three of their four matches. Senior Nick Bagley (150) placed fourth, winning two of his four matches, freshman Josh Harvath (165) placed third, winning three of his four matches  and freshman Jayce Estes (113) placed third, winning two of his three matches. Sophomore Drake Murrell (157) won four of his five matches to place fifth and sophomore Joey Culbertson (175) won four of his five matches as well to place fifth. The Wildcats had their first duals of the season in Versailles on Tuesday, losing their first one to Knob Noster and their other dual to Versallies. 

Many wrestlers coming into the season made personal goals for themselves to hopefully do better than last season.

”My goal is to do better than last year and place top four in every tournament that I go to,” sophomore Sonny Garrett said. 

“My goal is to make it to state and hopefully to win at least one tournament,” sophomore Drake Murrell said. 

With the season beginning the Wildcats are working hard and pushing themselves to the limit to have a great season.