Students honor tradition at the 44th annual football Homecoming

Senior Jazzmyn Swisher was crowned the 44th Homecoming queen this year.

Homecoming traditions have changed a lot over the years, but they are still important in the life of a school. Homecoming not only includes the town but allows them, along with current students, to show school spirit and reflect on the good memories made at school. Homecoming comes with a lot of traditions that students and staff look forward to every year.
Some of the Warsaw traditions celebrated at Homecoming are spirit week, float building, a parade, an assembly, a royalty contest and a dance. The Warsaw Homecoming tradition started in 1978, the year of the first varsity football season and Homecoming looked quite different.
“Being the first homecoming queen in Warsaw was pretty awesome. Being the first in a thing like that is a really great experience. Girl power is something I’ve always gone by and it’s a very positive thing. I believe that girls can do what boys can do. Don’t ever let a boy tell you otherwise,” first 1978 Homecoming queen Lou Breshears said.
The tradition of crowning Homecoming royalty has remained, but changed over time, adding king and prince to the queen and princess royalty.
“It is pretty cool that people wanted to vote for me. I have always enjoyed the fun of Homecoming. With some things always changing, it is neat that we continue to honor some traditions,” Swisher said.
Some of the 1978 traditions have stood the test of time, such as the Homecoming royalty and the parade. In ‘78, the students paraded down Main Street featuring the marching band and football team on the fire truck, a tradition that is still honored today.
Secretary’s Cindy Murrell and Jessica Hinkle said spirit week and the parade are their favorite Warsaw traditions, as well as one of the most important traditions in the crowning of king and queen.
“Traditions are important to our school because it brings school spirit and gets the town involved,” Hinkle said.
This year’s Homecoming theme was the early 2000’s. On Tuesday students could dress up as Adam Sandler. Wednesday students dressed up as their favorite 2000’s celebrity. Thursday was Y2K fashion and Friday was color wars as well as the parade.
Every year each grade level gets to choose the theme for their float to participate in the parade. This year’s float themes included the senior class as babies, junior class as Spongebob, sophomore class as High School Musical, freshman class as Monsters Inc.
“It’s a great time to interact with your friends while building your float and creating new friendships,” Swisher said.
After the parade, students came back to the school to participate in the assembly. The student council members from each class had to come up with a game and explain how to play it.
While many other schools celebrate Homecomings with similar traditions, each one is unique.
Career and Academic Advisor Bobbi Swisher went to Windsor High School and enjoyed the all-day pep assembly tradition. She said she loves Homecoming time because it is when school spirit is high.
“If you don’t keep them (traditions) alive, they won’t be remembered,” Swisher said
Middle school secretary Andrea Ferguson went to Bishop Miege High School in Kansas City where a formal Homecoming dance was part of their traditions.
“I looked forward to Homecoming because spirit days were fun and it was the first dance of the year,” middle school secretary Andrea Ferguson said.
Paraprofessional Kya Schepker, WHS class of 2000, believes the school traditions are important to continue.
“It’s important to keep our traditions alive because our motto is, tradition, pride, and excellence. It’s our teachers and staff’s job to uphold our traditions,” she said.