Baseball team works hard after cancelled season, wins first game

Nicole Say

Senior Outfielder Bradley Brown stands at bat and prepares for a pitch from the Green Ridge Tigers during Warsaw’s senior night on March 22. Baseball players drew the number “7” on their arms to honor their late coach, Bailey Jelinek, who passed away on March 14.

Baseball is back and the players’ preseason work paid off with a win in the first game. Since the cancellation of last year’s season due to COVID-19, players have been preparing to run the bases once again.
“Our coaching staff is looking forward to a good spring season,” head coach John Eierman said. “We have a lot of returning players and the guys have worked hard in the weight room since last year.”
“Okay, so I am excited. I haven’t played baseball for eleven year and I was mad at myself that I didn’t play football and I knew I had to play baseball so I could hang out with all the guys. I’m super stoked for the baseball season.” said Senior (outfield, pitcher) Bradley Brown.
The lack of a baseball season was very inconvenient for the players, especially the then freshman and senior players. Senior players were deprived of their last chance to play high school baseball and freshmen missed out on the chance to transition from middle school baseball to the high school level.
“It’s not too bad for the upperclassmen, but as far as the underclassmen who are now sophomores playing on varsity is really their first time playing high school baseball. It’s a whole different speed for them, it’s something they need to get used to because of not having that freshman year,” junior (shortstop, pitcher, 3rd base) Jack Gardner.
“I didn’t get that time or experience so it kind of affected us a little bit.” Sophomore catcher Nick Bagley said.
Despite the difficulties of losing an entire season, players still go out to practice and games with an optimistic outlook as they get the opportunity to play a game they love.
“Making a good play in defense is probably the best feeling, it gets everyone excited and it’s good for the pitchers and everything just gets the team up,” Gardner said.
“To hit a baseball with a bat or catch a nice ball that seems uncatchable [is my favorite part],” freshman outfielder Austin Byrd said.
“[I like] getting to run the bases because I think I’m fast,” senior (Third base, pitcher, catcher, shortstop) Trey Palmer said.
The Wildcats had an opportunity to run the bases during their first game of the season, and senior night, against the Greenridge Tigers on March 22. Warsaw won, 14-0. The next game is scheduled for April 1 against Stockton.
“Our pitchers did great, no walks or anything, everyone was hitting the ball which is a good thing to see for our first game of the year,” Gardner said.
“We came out ready to play. Whole team effort. We pitched well, zero walks and had zero errors in the field. We were good at bats and hit well. Hopefully we can keep it going throughout the season,” Eierman said.