Lady Cats pay the price of dedication

Jonathan Petesch

Freshman Aubrie McRoberts hits the ball against Osage. Warsaw lost to Osage 4-5.

Back at it again, the Lady Wildcats softball team has started off their season with a 8-4 record and a very young team. Of the 10 players making up their varsity squad, six of them are freshmen, two seniors, one junior, and one sophomore. These ten girls have shown the school what it takes to be  dedicated to the sport of softball.  

Having played competitive softball since the age of nine, freshman Aubrie McRoberts takes the field as varsity shortstop this year. McRoberts played for Torque Fast Pitch until the age of 13 when she made the switch to KC Peppers located out of Olathe.

“I travel to Olathe two times a week for practice and one time for hitting. We have tournaments throughout the year, and almost every weekend through the summer,” McRoberts said.

All six of the freshmen players are currently playing for a traveling team.

“It takes a lot of dedication. In the summertime every other weekend you are up in the city playing ball and practicing at least two times a week. As soon as we get off high school season, it is right back to playing travelling ball,” freshman Reagan Shelby said.

Shelby plays for Torque Fastpitch located out of Warsaw.

The freshmen have brought  some new faces to the world of high school ball.

“They’ve helped the team out a lot by always being ready to play and being up for the challenge of playing bigger schools. They’ve brought a lot of new talent and a lot of new energy to the table,” senior and co-captain and first baseman Kaci Cooner said.

The team has been practicing since the beginning of August. With all the incoming talent, the girls are hoping to stay ahead in their district.

“We are hoping to be competitive in our conference and be playing our best softball when it is time for districts in early October. We want to finish at the top or near the top in our conference,” coach Kensie Daleske said.

“It’s going to be a great year for WHS 2016 softball,” McRoberts said.