Track athletes set new school records

Raven Caswell

Freshman Maleek Porter runs the 4×8 distance relay at the Eldon Invitational track meet. The relay team placed 5th.

Athletes this track season are preparing for the conference and district meets. They are also working to break their personal and school records.

The team has been breaking old school records. Dallas Larsen broke the 3200 meter run record with a time of 10:21.  Freshman Maleek Porter, sophomore Ryan Franklin, sophomore Dallas Larsen, and senior Johnathan Plybon broke the record for the boys 4000 meter distance medley, with a time of 12:50. Freshman Autumn Long, sophomore Hannah Chapman, sophomore Mikayla Andrews, and junior Ashlee Kuykendall broke the record for the girls 4,000 meter distance medley with a time of 15:14.

“We were working really hard to get a better time and break the record, so when we finally did I was really excited,” freshman Maleek Porter said.

As well as breaking old school records, new records have been set for the new events added this year. These include the 60 meter dash, the 60 meter hurdles, and javelin. These events were added because colleges who host meets want to give high schoolers more opportunities to experience the same events as college level runners.

Senior Raven Caswell has the mark for the girls 60 meter dash with a time of 0:9.14, and senior Terrence Conness has the mark for the boys with a time of 0:7.87. Senior Austin Steenburgen has the record for the boys javelin throw at 117 feet, and Sam Thompson for the girls at 51 feet.

Besides working to break records and place in meets, athletes are also working to meet personal and team goals.   

“My goal for the season is to give it my all and attend state in both my hurdle events.” sophomore Hannah Chapman said. Chapman runs the 100m hurdles, 300m hurdles, 4×2 relay and 4×4 relay. She has placed in every meet so far.

One goal the athletes are working towards is simply improving their times and distances.

“My goal is to keep decreasing my 400m time in the 4x400m relay. I started at a 1:16 and ran a 1:10 at my last meet; I would be thrilled to reach 1:08 or less. In long jump, I’d like to break 15 feet. Other goals would be improving my split on the other relays,” senior Rickie Branson said.

Head coach Cody Morgan has been pushing the team to be their best.

“I prepare workouts that challenge athletes both mentally and physically because track is both a physical and a mental sport. As a coach, my main goal for the athletes is for them to beat their own personal records, and if everyone continues to do that and grow I consider it a good season.”