Siblings find benefits and annoyances in shared school experiences

Hunter Collins, and Alli and Abi Flinn

Students who attend the same school as their siblings find advantages and disadvantages. Attending the same school with a familiar face can be exactly what is needed, although seeing the same face too much can occasionally be overwhelming. 

“I think some pros would be you have your family close, someone you can trust and relate with. Some cons might be that you have different schedules, you might be in the same class as a sibling and that could cause tension or fighting between siblings,” senior Rachel Henderson said.

Henderson has two siblings at WHS, sophomores Isaac Henderson and David Glenn. 

Isaac Henderson said he appreciated “having them close and in one building, if we need something we can work it out. A con would be seeing them all day, inside and outside of school.” 

“We rarely, almost never talk in school; we don’t associate ourselves with each other,” sophomore Mason Gollihar said. 

Gollihar has one sibling, senior Bryson Gollihar. 

Freshman Bailey Merriot gets a ride to school with her sister, junior Rori Merriott.

It allows “easy transportation, and we can share food if we’re hungry. I see my sister too much, and people I don’t know somehow know me because of her,” Bailey Merriott said. 

Many seem to enjoy it, others seem to find their sibling embarrassing or irritating.  

“I enjoy going to the same school because he is fun to talk to about things that happen during the day,” Bailey Burnworth claims. 

“They can both sometimes be annoying, embarrassing, or tattle tales,” senior Abbi Flinn states. 

Flinn attends WHS with her sisters, senior Hunter Collins and sophomore Alli Flinn. 

“We all carpool together,” Hunter Collins said. 

Senior Austin Schibi attends school with Brayden. 

“Attending the same school sucks and is annoying,” sophomore Brayden Schibi said. 

Twelve sets of siblings were chosen and interviewed, all of different age groups. Despite the fact that there are many other siblings, these few all seem to have a good relationship with their siblings throughout the day. 

Attending the same high school as a sibling can be very beneficial in many ways. The advantage of having someone that can be relied on, there for anything, and help in many different ways. 

“It helps me feel less alone and have someone I know is in my corner on every rough day I may have,” junior Rori Merriot said. 

Merriott sees sister Bailey in the halls of WHS each day.

“She helps me with math because she’s smarter in that subject, it is also good if I have to take her places, it’s the same places,” junior Garrett Ferguson said.

Sophomore Hailey Ferguson and junior Garrett are in the same Algebra class. Hailey helps her older brother often. 

“If I need to ask her something or need help, she will be right there for me,” sophomore Joshua Harvath said. 

Harvath attends with his younger sister, freshmen Lillianna Perez. 

Some Siblings have been attending the same school as each other for many years, some only just a few.    

Josephine attends high school with her sophomore sister Ivy Kelsey. 

“Ivy and I attended elementary school together for a little bit, and only two years of high school,” senior Josephine Kelsey said. 

The Slavens have attended the same school their whole life only being eleven months apart in age and a year in grade level. Maylee and her older brother Brennen Slavens go to school together. 

“Counting all grades we have attended the same school for seven years, but only one year of high school so far,” freshman Maylee Slavens said. While Slavens has never known any different, she can’t imagine not seeing her brother at school.