2023 was a year of mixed emotions for students and staff

WHS in Review Timeline

As the year comes to a close, students and staff at WHS look back at the highs and lows of 2023. 

Many students recall some of the highlights of the year being the Chiefs 2023 Super Bowl win. They beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl 38-35. 

“It was very exciting to see the Chiefs win and watch Rihanna perform at halftime.” sophomore Ryan Fajen said. 

Travis Kelce has also seen a major increase in sales due to his new found relationship with Taylor Swift. 

“Honestly, it’s not bad as long as it’s not a publicity stunt,” Bilderback said. 

There were also some downsides to 2023. 

Israel experienced a devastating attack. Almost 3,793 people were killed, 12,500 were injured, and more than 1,000 were still trapped under the rubble.

“This is a scary time.” Math teacher Amy Spunaugle said. 

While many students may not have paid much attention to world events of 2023, they mark the year with life milestones and friendships made.

“Allison became Dr. Miller and Connor graduated from college. My new granddaughter was born this year! Josephine is another blessing to our family,” Spunaugle said. 

“My husband and I bought our forever house this year.  I loved going through the process of moving into a new home and setting everything up with my family.” English teacher Amber Glenn said.

“Anytime I’m out on the basketball court with Rachel, having somebody like Rachel to be there and cheer you up when you are having a rough day can really make things so much better and she always has a smile that lights up the room.” sophomore Jessie Bilderback said. 

Some even found that teachers made this year enjoyable. 

“What surprised me the most would be how much I love Ms. Siegel!!” senior Randi Bishop said. 

Some can’t believe that the year is almost over already.

“I’ve been surprised how fast this year went by.  I feel like it just started and the year is about to come to an end,” Glenn said. 

Many students and faculty endured hardships this year as well. 

“2023 has been a super busy year, with very little down time.  I don’t like how busy and overextended I have felt.” Glenn said. 

TikTok trends for 2023 were followed by WHS students. 

“I love to read so of course I love book-tok.” Senior Hunter Collins said. 

84 students responded to a poll about 2023 TikTok trends. 28.6% of students favor the “Get Ready with Me” Trend. Other favorite trends consisted of “Book-Tok”, “A Day in the Life”, “TikTok Made Me Buy It”, and Dances. 

Bishop mentioned that 2023 made her a better person and she was grateful for all she learned. 

“I would say 2023 treated me pretty well. I was able to learn a lot about myself, make new friends, and I grew my relationship with God.” Bishop stated. 

There were many big events over the year but especially at WHS.