Alumni reflect on high school, admit to challenges of adult life

2021 graduate Trey Palmer attends Central Christian College of the Bible in Moberly, Missouri, where he plays basketball.

As the holiday season rolls around, Warsaw alums reflect on their years at WHS. Many might even bring home advice for students still enrolled.

Karlie Jones, 2022 graduate, works as a rural carrier for the United States Postal Service. 

“I have been very busy working,” Jones said. Jones still lives in Warsaw and is preparing a home to move into.

Jones said she has many good memories of her high school years.

“My favorite memories from high school were always being involved in sports, and I always loved school dances!” Jones said. 

Looking back at their high school years, alums have core memories that have stuck with them since. Many of them miss playing sports in school and their teammates they played with. 

“My favorite memories of high school were definitely the sports. I miss playing basketball, volleyball, archery, and golf so much!” Laue stated. 

Laue, a 2023 graduate, attends Truman State University in Kirksville Missouri to major in Exercise Science with a minor in Biology.

“I am a part of the Club Volleyball team and Delta Zeta Sorority,” Freshman Ashlyn Laue said.

Older alums have almost completed their education and are planning for life after college. 

“I either want to play overseas or become a teacher and a coach for basketball because I still love the game,” 2021 graduate Trey Palmer said. Palmer is a junior at Central Christian College of the Bible in Moberly, Missouri, where he plays basketball and majors in Youth Ministry.

Julie Long is a 2022 graduate from Warsaw High School. She attends State Fair Community College where she will graduate with an associates degree in Wildlife Conservation in the spring of 2024. From there she plans to transfer to a bigger university to further her education. 

“I have been going to college and working part time.” Long said.

A few alumni have expressed how they did not feel prepared for life post graduation.

“For most classes at Warsaw, you need to do some online learning yourself because most of the course work does not prepare you for college at all,” Laue stated.

“High school did not really prepare me for the real world. It gave me a sense of responsibility and accountability but that is about it,” Long said.

Some graduates had people who helped them along the way and even inspired them to be the best version of themselves. 

“My biggest inspirations were definitely my parents and Mrs. Spunaugle. They all have pushed me and brought me to where I am today.” Laue stated. 

Some alumni wished they had known more before graduating. Most said life outside of high school is very different compared to still attending.

“Life wasn’t made to be a walk in the park, more times than not it’s like running through the woods at night time. You trip and fall over things you didn’t know were there. But it’s more about getting back up and moving forward. It’s meant to be a new experience,” Long said.

After graduating from WHS, these former students have learned some life lessons and have advice to offer.

“High school will always bring a lot of challenges for you and failure is never a bad thing as long as you learn and keep improving because of it,” Palmer said. 

Jones agreed that failure is just part of life.

“It’s okay to fail, you are human. But what matters is that you get up the next day and try even harder than the day before,” Jones said.

“The only advice I have for students still in school is to just live your own life, never be afraid to ask for guidance, and do what makes you happy,” Long said.