Pep club boosts school spirit and morale

Ashlynn Adams
Pep club celebrates in Lincoln during the tri volleyball match. Ladycats went 1-1 on the night.

While the pep club is considered an unofficial school organization with no faculty leader, the tradition of students coming together to show school pride and cheer on their teams is still strong. The entirely student-led pep club is where many students create lasting high school memories.

Pep clubs are not entirely a thing of the past even though interest comes and goes. According to Varsity.com, “Pep clubs are an important tool to engage more students and build school spirit.” 

Some advantages of being involved in the pep club at the school are all the fun themes students come up with.

“My favorite theme so far is neon night for the home opener of Friday night lights football,” senior Josephine Kelsey said. 

With a new year of being involved in the pep club, there’s often a new senior leader of the club. This year’s “senior leader” is senior Grace Drake. Drake has been involved in the pep club all four years of high school. 

“Being the leader this year, it’s nice to see the students get loud and hype up the teams. However, it can also come with downfalls with keeping the energy up for so long but that’s what it takes to be the ‘leader,’” Drake said. 

Having a pep club can have many advantages, even from a coach’s perspective. 

“The pep club helps to keep our team’s spirit up and when they bring the loud and positive energy, it transfers on the court. Overall, the pep club is important by helping teams overcome difficult challenges they may come across,” head volleyball coach Kelsie Brosnahan said. 

Athletes also appreciate the added support in the stands with a robust pep club.

“It’s important to me because, especially being a student athlete, knowing you have others there to support and cheer you on can change your mood the entire game, making it a way more enjoyable experience,” senior Rachel Henderson said. 

Some students recognize that there are many advantages to being involved in a club during a high school experience. Some of those that come with it is, making lasting memories with friends, getting the opportunities to participate in more school fun, and in general making the most of the high school experience. 

“My favorite memory with this year’s pep club so far has to be screaming really loud at Lincoln, playing them, and doing the tomahawk chop,” junior Garrett Ferguson said. 

Participating in any extracurricular activities can come with funny moments and memories made, as well. 

“The funniest memory to happen while being in the pep club has to be always seeing Laney Arnett running with the flag, through the endzone, after every touchdown,” Kelsey said. 

It isn’t always easy to keep the pep club enthusiasm going through all sports seasons. At a small school, some students who would be the most spirited on the stands are involved in other activities, but student leaders work hard to keep the spirit up, especially for key games. Drake said important games may include pink out, senior night, youth night, within the rest of the school year’s seasons of sports.

“We really hope to have a lot of people show up for the senior games. It would be wonderful to see everyone show out for our seniors,” Drake said.