School organizations find way for holiday giving

Multiple groups adopt families for Christmas for Kids

Junior+Kylie+McRoberts%2C+Maddy+McMillin+and+Mary+Porter+pack+boxes+for+the+soldiers+overseas.+

Jessica Kuykendall

Junior Kylie McRoberts, Maddy McMillin and Mary Porter pack boxes for the soldiers overseas.

During the holiday months, WHS clubs are doing their best to help out families and soldiers. The clubs that are helping out are Future Career Community Leaders of America, English Club, National Honor Society,Future Business Leaders of America and FFA. NHS did Holiday Soldiers and FCCLA, FBLA, FFA and English Club adopted a family.
English Club carried on the tradition in participating in Christmas for kids. This year they adopted a seven year old boy. They were excited about the opportunity of giving clothes and a good Christmas to a kid that don’t might not get one otherwise.
“It has been a tradition for the English Club to participate on Christmas for kids, so we just carried on the tradition.” said sponsor Tricia Foster.
The students in FCCLA adopted a senior from the nursing home. According to sponsor Susie Dudenhoefer, this project was all the students idea and they did everything by themselves.
“It is important during the whole year but specially in this holiday part. We feel more grateful now, after Thanksgiving and before Christmas,” said Dudenhoefer.
The NHS hosted an Operation Soldier Holiday Package donation drive. They asked students and faculty to bring in nonperishable foods and different necessities to ship overseas to soldiers. NHS goal last year was five boxes and they collected 20. This year’s goal was 25 boxes, and they collected 36.
“I feel this project is important for showing support to our troops. Plus, I know that it is special to the soldiers. It gives them knowledge that somebody cares and is thankful. “ said the senior NHS president Melissa Pierce.
FBLA hosted Christmas for kids, they adopted two kids this year. FBLA collected $100 for each kid. Junior Kyle Nevius feels that it’s important to do a project like this time of the year because some kids don’t experience Christmas, and with students’ help, they can experience it.
Overall, WHS feels like it is important to give back to those who have less than the students, and to the soldiers that are fighting for freedom.