Cheating becomes easier due to technology

Cheating has been around since the beginning of time. Before electronics, it was common for students to be caught passing notes, drawing on the table and even stealing the answer book. At Warsaw high school, internet is used to check grades, keep track of attendance and is a vital part in lessons. Just like everything else, the internet can offer both advantages and disadvantages.

“The advantages and disadvantages from the internet are rather infinite. If you don’t understand a lesson, you’re one click from so many videos and online tutors that can help the situation, while you’re also one click from all the answers without having to understand,” said Freshman Kyleigh Hines.

In a poll of 84 students, 45.2 percent of students said that they google answers on homework and 32.4 percent of students said they sometimes google answers on tests. Only 16.7 percent of students said they used the internet to pass.

Students feel more pressure as they continue their education. Students have started violating more academic standards. This problem has became more common in the last decade.

“Cheating has become easier and more widely tolerated, and both schools and parents have failed to give students strong, repetitive messages about what is allowed and what is prohibited,” The New York Times said in their article Studies Find More Students Cheating, With High Achievers No Exception.

The internet is accessible everywhere, making it effortless to cheat. Cell phones do not make it difficult.

“Cheating in school is an age-old problem, but there is little doubt that technology – cell phones in particular – has made it almost too easy. Students can take notes on their devices to peek at during an exam, text their friends for answers, or take photos of exams and send them to their friends,” neatoday said.

Even though technology has been implemented in every aspect of academics, it is ultimately up to the students to choose wisely on whether or not they wish to learn their subject.

“I don’t believe the school could solve the issue of students cheating,” Hines said. “With utmost respect, if a student wishes to do something and is determined enough, they’ll find a way to cheat,”