Artist Corner: Chance Thirstrup

Junior returns to love for music

Sophomore Aubrie McRoberts, senior Nate Fauquier, sophomore Aiyana Chenault, juniors Chance Thirstrup, Allison Thomas and sophomores Alyssa Gemes and Jessica Dwyer sing in the winter concert. The winter concert featured concert band, jazz band and all choirs.

Junior Chance Thirstrup has returned to his love of music that he first found in middle school, joining the Madrigal chamber choir and returning to his instrument in band this year.

After two years of no musical involvement, Thirstrup can be found in the band and choir room trying to become a better musician in both singing and playing the trumpet. He is a hard working member of the WHS music program

Thirstrup’s hard work was recognized by choir teacher Deanna Schockmann.

“He is always looking for ways to become a better musician,” Schockmann said.

Thirstrup enjoys music because it’s a way for him to get some stress and anxiety out.

“I enjoy music because it’s a way for me to let loose and get my anxiety and stress out,” Thirstrup said.

Schockmann believes that anyone can pursue music after high school because there are many different things someone can do with music. Supporting Schockmann’s views is junior Rylee Pals. Pals is a close friend of Thirstrup and believes that he could pursue music after high school if he wanted to.

“I feel like he could pursue music because he is really dedicated and has the passion for it,” Pals said.

Even though Thirstrup does not want to pursue music as a career, he still wants to do music-related activities on the side.

“I want to join a symphony,” Thirstrup said. “I don’t plan to major in anything musically related, but I do want to continue to play the trumpet and piano after high school.”

This is Thirstrup’s first year in Madrigal and first year doing band in high school. He performed in the band in middle school, but decided not to do it when he first hit high school.

“I never really thought about doing Madrigal. I heard it was fun and saw people up there doing it and I always wanted to be a part of that group,” Thirstrup said. “I tried but I never made it in the past.”

Some of his friends believe that if he would have joined the choir group before his junior year, it would have benefited him even more.

“I think if he would have done it in his younger years he would have experienced more and would have grown to love it even more,” Pals said.

Besides being in band and Madrigal, Thirstrup has also taken piano, but is no longer in it because he had to choose between band and piano. In his time in piano he played an assigned piece that is now one of his favorites to play.

“I have to say my favorite piece I have done was ‘Greensleeves’ in piano. Keion Davis and I did it together,” Thirstrup said.

Most musicians try do to do things to become better. Thirstrup’s way of doing that is by practicing.

“I have put in a lot of hours to try to become better,” Thirstrup said. “Some hours before and after school for band and then even more hours after band to get better in Madrigal.”

Right now, Thirstrup is practicing for contest. Solo and small ensembles contest will take place on March 5. Thirstrup is in two small ensembles in Madrigal for contest as well as a brass ensemble for band. He is also doing a vocal solo for contest.   

“My favorite song for contest is ‘Gloria in Excelsis’, because it sounds awesome and I can really get into it,” Thistrup said.