Madrigal travels to California to celebrate hard work

Sandy beaches, beautiful sunsets, and very hot weather during the winter is a normal for San Diego, California. These were some of the things students enjoyed as Madrigal took a trip to San Diego as a reward for all of the hard work they have put in throughout the year. Though the trip was very pricey, the entire group had a very good time.

Senior Madison Lane was very enthused about the trip. The group takes a big trip every two years.

“This was by far the best trip I have been on,” Lane said.

Lane never felt like leaving the sandy beaches of San Diego.

“I never wanted to leave. I wanted to stay forever and I never got homesick,” Lane said.

During the trip, there were many places that the choir stopped. The group had to overcome the arriving at the Saint Louis airport at 4:30 a.m. Departing at 6:10 the group was almost the only people on the plane at a number of 49. After the long flight of sleeping and turbulence, the plane arrived at the Los Angeles International  Airport or LAX at 9:00 a.m.

“I didn’t mind the turbulence, it was actually fun on the take off,” sophomore David Derks said.

Disneyland was the first stop for Madrigal. Instead of just visiting, they performed inside the park which is very special because some choirs do not even get the chance to do that. Arriving at 10:30 a.m. and leaving around 9:30 p.m., the day was full of entertainment and lots of walking, but the group really enjoyed their first day in Los Angeles.

“Disney-Land was amazing and it was really fun to ride the rides and stuff,” sophomore Nate Fauquier said.

The second day of the trip was visiting one of the only three Olympic Training Centers in the United States. During this visit, the group was guided around by a tour guide and visited all of the facilities in the training center. While visiting, the group saw Paralympion Lex Gillette, a blind gold medal long jumper.

“Seeing a real life Paralympion was awesome. I’ve seen the Olympics and really seeing one of the people that train for it was amazing,” sophomore Rayne Faulconer said.

Following the visit to the Olympic center, the group went to the Hard Rock Cafe which was a hotspot of celebrity activity in downtown San Diego. After filling up their stomachs and becoming all dressed up, the group traveled over to see the Wizard of Oz Broadway edition which concluded the second day of the five-day trip.

“The Wizard of Oz was great and magical. I really want to see it again.” sophomore Brenden Dockery said.

Day three of the trip was probably the most enjoyed. Things that were on the agenda were the Harbor Cruise and the sandy Mission Beach. The cruise consisted of an hour of narrated sailing throughout the San Diego bay. After the cruise, the group went to beach, which is a hotspot in the large city.

Junior Blake Broderson also loved the trip.

“My favorite part was the Harbor Cruise for sure. Getting to see everything in the harbor and the tour guide was awesome!” Brodersen said.

Broderson enjoyed his last Warsaw High School Madrigal trip.

“I was a little apprehensive at first, but I couldn’t have been happier with how the trip turned out,” Brodersen said.

Crashing waves, burying people in sand, and tanning were things the choir enjoyed doing that day. Later that night, the group enjoyed themselves by shopping in Seaport Village which was a main shopping destination.

“I think this was my favorite trip yet. This year’s group is a very special group to me and I’m proud to call them my students. I won’t ever forget this year,” music teacher Charlene Million said.

The last day of activities was going to the airport and finally flying back to Missouri. The whole group was wiped out and exhausted from the event, but overall had a great time.

Though the group does not take another trip until 2018, the 2016 San Diego trip was a get-away to remember.