Annie cast puts in hours to continue legacy

Annie+junior+Lydia+Schockmann%2C+reads+to+Molly%2C+junior+Madeline+McMillin+before+the+its+The+Hard+Knock+Life+number.+Annie+will+open+on+March+13.+Curtain+time+is+7+p.m.+on+Friday+and+Saturday+and+3+p.m.+on+Sunday.+

Maria Miranda

“Annie” junior Lydia Schockmann, reads to “Molly”, junior Madeline McMillin before the “it’s The Hard Knock Life” number. “Annie” will open on March 13. Curtain time is 7 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Students and directors are working hard and putting in many, many hours to produce the spring musical, “Annie” on March 13-15.

Daily rehearsals run from 90 to 145 minutes as the cast members sing and practice their parts.

“It’s fun but stressful memorizing the lines,” junior Lydia Schockmann said. Schockmann has the lead role of “Annie.”

“We get more productive each time,” junior Stephanie Fisher said. Fisher plays the role of Lily St. Regis.

The production of a musical every two years is a tradition that started in spring of 1990 with the musical “Oklahoma.”

As Deanna Gemes Schockmann played the lead role in the “Oklahoma” production twenty five years ago, her daughter, Lydia, is now taking her place as the lead in this year’s musical.

Lydia is now following in her mother’s footsteps as she is dealing with the stressful, yet exciting events that come along with being in the musical.

“I’m very happy for Lydia.  It takes a lot of dedication and commitment and she is handling it very well. I remember the long hours and hard work, but it’s some of my best memories of high school. I’m very proud of her and know she will do a wonderful job.  I can’t wait to see the production,” Deanna Schockmann said.

“It’s nice because she’s (Deanna) pretty talented,” junior Lydia Schockmann said.

Although the cast members may be overwhelmed with emotions while being a part of the production, memories are made.

“Musicals give students the chance to display skills in singing dancing and  acting. It creates lifelong memories,” music director Charlene Million said.

With musical productions and activities this will teach students responsibility and requires teamwork. This gives students a chance to show their acting skills and gives the community a chance to see the skills that are developed, according to Million.

Million also described the frustration she has with some wavering dedication.

“I am dealing with the few students who lack the commitment to show up on time for rehearsals, thus creating more work and stress for the rest of the cast,” Million said.

“It is very frustrating and sad since the cast of 70+ people must count on each cast member to show up and have lines and songs memorized,” Million said.