Artist hopes to inspire generations to come through her talent

These are some of junior Sonia Lasseigne’s best pieces. Lasseigne completed these pieces last year and takes a lot of pride in them.

Junior artist Sonia Lasseigne is making her mark on the art department with her mural of almond blossom and her creation will influence artists for years to come.
“I only hope that when I’m gone, whatever I create has had a positive impact on whoever knows of its existence,” she said.
Lasseigne has been doing art since she can remember, but sixth grade was when her art teacher and her friends really recognized her talent.
“I always thought that they were just being kind. But, then I got screened for a talented and gifted program for young adults and I did really well. I got to meet lots of really talented people my age and I got to do lots more projects,” she said.
Lasseigne said her mom’s support also helped her pursue art.
“She has always encouraged me to be as creative as I can,” she said
She is working on improving her collection of art.
“I am working in a lot of different mediums and genres right now just to expand my portfolio before college, but right now I love impressionism painting and realism and portrait drawings and illustration,” she said.
Her friends and teachers at WHS also recognize talent and potential in Lasseigne.
“She is always pushing her limits in the art world, making it bigger and better with each project being a personal challenge,” art teacher Derek Norton said.
Some of Lasseigne’s current achievements is that she placed first place her freshman year with her painting. She is currently working on painting a mural on the art room wall.
“I would love to see her continue to grow and develop her skills in large scale mural work and portraiture. I imagine someday I will see her artwork in a museum gallery,” Norton said.
Junior Madison Lawrence is Lasseigne’s close friend and admires her passion for art.
“My favorite piece that Sonia did was a drawing of a woman using charcoal. It was very unique, and I was really impressed by her talent,” she said. “I think she has become a lot more confident in her art than she used to be.”
Lasseigne’s advice to fellow students is to create something that interests them.
“Art is possibly one of the truest forms of self expression,” she said. “It should never be limited.”