Wildcats play for district title, look forward to next season

Maylee Slavens
Senior offensive lineman Devon Boul hugs his cousin Gage Whitaker after a tough loss in the district championship game against the Father Tolton Trailblazers. “It was the worst day of my life because it was the last time I would touch a football field with pads on,” he said.

The Wildcats finished their season with a tough loss against the Father Tolton Trailblazers in the district championship 40-7. The Wildcats finished the season with an 8-4 record and this season was the first time since the 20-21 season that the Cats made it to the district championship. Making the district championship was a big accomplishment for the Wildcats as that was one of their main goals this season.
“We made it to a district championship, which I think is a big accomplishment for the whole team,” junior running back Jayce Depriest said.
With the Wildcats losing in the district championship, some of the players played their last game of high school football. While high school football is in the rearview mirror for these players, they will always have memories of positive experiences while playing high school football.
“My favorite thing about football at Warsaw High School was the experience and all the people I got to play the sport with, my favorite memory was last year during the Hogan Prep game when Gage and I did our celebration after he scored a touchdown,” senior offensive lineman Devon Boul said.
The Wildcats had a successful season, and they are hoping that the positive impacts of this season can translate into next season, and that they can improve themselves during the offseason.
“I need to work on my speed, my acceleration, and my strength so I will be in the gym a lot to improve myself, I am also going to go to the field quite a bit to get in extra reps,” sophomore running back Joshua Harvath said.
Even though the Wildcats ended their season with a tough loss, they can look back on all of the improvements that they have made, and all of the things that they have accomplished throughout the season. The Cats will have an older team next season with the majority of the varsity players being upperclassmen.
“I think having an older team next season will bring a lot of upside because we will have players with a lot of experience on both sides of the ball, and having a lot of upperclassmen next year, we can help and teach the incoming freshmen next season,” junior linebacker Drake Murrell said.