Showstoppers honors traditions of music

Senior Connor Mays and juniors Elijah Long and Jaxson Deckard play the kazoo’s during Showstoppers. The boys partcipated with a Men’s chorus and performed “Barbershop Blues.”

The talented showstopping musicians came together for yet again an opportunity for all to showcase their talents and their passion for music. The Showstoppers concert, held every two years, was held on Oct. 28. 

Choir teacher Deanna Schockmann chose a “Traditions” theme for the performance.  

“This is a theme that holds true in the choral department. There are many traditions that students look forward to musically every year, but I also wanted to focus on traditions that run deeper in the relationships that we build within our department,” Schockmann said. 

Students were both excited and a little nervous about performing for their school and community.

“It was very fun performing for the school/community in my opinion and the song I performed was “Stitches” by Shawn Mendez with Shaelynn Ward and Conner Mays. It was a lot more nerve wracking to do it for school just because you see those people everyday. But I always love putting on a show for them, for their entertainment and I hope they loved watching as much as I did performing,” junior Hazel Thompson said.      

Staff performed with students for the piece ‘What Happens When A Woman,’ which was a highlight of the night.

“My favorite piece was ‘What Happens When A Woman.’ A student actually suggested that piece which is awesome. I saw it as an opportunity to bring staff into the process which was a lot of fun for all of us! The main reason I loved this piece was the message it sent. The piece overall has a very full sound, but at the end it is softer. Women can be strong in all instances,” Schockmann said. 

In order for this performance to be successful, there was much preparation. 

“We begin working on Showstoppers as soon as school starts, so about 8-9 weeks to get it performance ready,” Schockmann said. 

Students are grateful for this show being possible.  

Sophomore Serenity Miller said she was thankful for director Mrs. Schockmann, her fellow vocalists and those who came to watch and support performers “Because, without any of those people it really wouldn’t have been a show like that,” sophomore Serenity Miller said. 

Although being on stage and performing may be fun, students also learned what it really takes to be a performer. 

“It takes a lot of courage to be a performer because, yes a lot of people can sing and dance, but not a lot of people have the courage to go up on stage and do that. And again you have to commit to it as well, but also not focusing on when you mess up because you might know that you messed up a song or dance move but the audience doesn’t know that unless you make it obvious or say something like that it sucked or something negative about it, so just focusing on the good parts and not the flaws,” Thompson said. 

With the fun and memories they have of performing, some learned what it really takes to be a performer. 

“I think people should participate because it’s something amazing, you get to show your talents and what you love to do,” senior Conner Mays said.  “I would do it again because it’s something that will always be a part of me,” Mays said. 

“I wanted to be involved because I love singing and dancing and making memories with people that also love doing the same things as me. On top of that, Shae and I always talked about doing a song for the talent show together since we were younger so when the opportunity came, we decided to take it,” Thompson said.

The best aspects of doing the show is all the memories you make but also the experience from getting up there and singing and dancing so facing and pushing past your nerves.

— Hazel Thompson

For some, it was a learning experience and with that also struggled to put themselves out there. 

“I learned that you should really get out of your comfort zone because I wanted to do a solo or duet and I didn’t, but when everyone else was performing there’s I was honestly kind of jealous and kinda upset that I didn’t and now I really wish that I would’ve and now I know that I should just get out of that comfort zone and just do things,” Serenity Miller said. 

Performers were proud of what they did, but also aim to keep improving.

“I loved how it turned out, the only thing is that I wish that we were able to make smoother transitions,” freshman Jordan Dove said

“The best aspects of doing the show is all the memories you make but also the experience from getting up there and singing and dancing so facing and pushing past your nerves for things. The worst aspect of doing it is when you have to do it for school in my opinion because people can be very judgy and not take into consideration how much work and courage it takes to put on a show for people’s entertainment,” Thompson said. 

Overall, performers were proud of their show.

“I think we did a good job, and we had lots of compliments,” Dove said.