While tradition changes, the love of Homecoming stays the same

Seniors Randi Buchholz and Nate Banfield throw candy from their candidate car. “I didn’t like the parade being moved to Monday. It felt different and I don’t think the hype was there like it would’ve been if we were to have had it on Friday like normal,” Buchholz said.

Students had to adjust to a change in what has become the WHS Homecoming tradition as they celebrated their Homecoming with the theme, “Music Through the Decades,” the week of Sept. 15.

The Homecoming parade has always been on Friday, the day of Homecoming, but this year it was changed to Monday. Many people were unhappy about this change. 

“The parade being moved to Monday, in my opinion, isn’t a better choice. I understand wanting to save time for educational work and learning, but this town represents ‘Tradition’ and attending the Friday parade is something we have done forever! It is a time we set aside for the excitement before the game and to share the school spirit. It is something for the town to engage in as well,” senior Homecoming Queen Rachel Henderson said.

With the parade being moved to Monday, it prevented a lot of parents and elementary kids from being able to go. 

“A lot of parents worked Monday so there weren’t a lot of elementary kids and, overall, there weren’t many people,” senior Josephine Kelsey said. 

Many students loved the importance of tradition that homecoming brings. 

“I think Homecoming is a pretty cool tradition to recognize the support from the community,” junior Homecoming Prince Drake Murrell said. 

“Homecoming has always been a super big tradition here in Warsaw, so it’s pretty cool to be a part of the fun week,” junior royalty candidate Brylee Brewster said. 

While the tradition of the parade was changed, the rest of the Homecoming traditions stayed the same. Spirit week continued. The spirit days contained, Tuesday- Disco Day, Wednesday- Country Day, Thursday- Rap day, and Friday- Techno Day/color wars. On Friday, the pep assembly was still held the last hour of the school day, then the Football game followed with coronation during halftime. 

“I would have to say my favorite Homecoming activity would have to be getting to walk across the field at the football game. I love the feeling of suspense as you wait for them to announce the winner,” senior king candidate Dylan Elmer said. 

The candidates still enjoyed thinking of ways to gain votes, so that on Friday when it came to voting time, their name was out there. 

“I used a few things to try and help collect votes over the week. Abbi Flinn was amazing and made posters for us, so this got our names familiar with the school. I also posted pictures on social media throughout the week to remind others to vote on Friday. Dylan and I also passed out small candy bags that I made with a note saying ¨Be sweet and vote Rachel and Dylan for Homecoming queen and king.¨ We also wore shirts that had our names on the back during the parade and pep rally!” Henderson said. 

With the tradition changing a little, the coronation was just as special as it always was. All of the candidates were hoping to win the crown, but only four out of the 12 could win. The winners were, Rachel Henderson(Queen), Nate Banfield(King), Alysia Yoder(Princess), and Drake Murrell(Prince). 

“It was an amazing feeling hearing my name called that night, but it was an even better feeling knowing how happy and supportive my classmates and friends were. I had SO many sweet people rooting for me and were there to congratulate me right after. The overwhelming feeling of love and support for something so small meant the world,” Henderson said. 

Members of the court were honored to be selected by their classmates.

“I think being a good classmate and a good person in general makes a good candidate. Being nice and helpful to those around you is always important,” senior queen candidate Randi Buchholz said.