Robotics team excited to come together and compete for second year

The robotics team is ready to start preparing for competitions this school year and hopes to grow as an organization in its second year in the school.

Coach Daniel Waller said the team will meet a few days each month at first but those meetings will increase as winter approaches.

“When winter comes around we meet just about every day for about 4 hours”Daniel Waller said. 

Last year, the team received an invite to the World competition in Houston, Texas and have high hopes to succeed in building functioning robots so that they have that amazing opportunity to attend this school year once again. 

“Hopefully, we will win competitions and work our way up to another invitation to Worlds Competition again, but even just building robots and being a part of it is something I enjoy,” sophomore John Minks said. 

“A few places we might compete at are St. Louis, Sedalia, Texas, and Kansas City hopefully for the first time.” Waller said. 

Some students have a high passion for robotics and have a lot of reasons why more should join. 

“First of all, a great reason to join would be the scholarships and it’s a good real life experience. It’s just a lot of fun and they become like family; it’s a good opportunity to get to know people,” junior Marissa Ricke said. 

Waller said the group welcomes new members at meetings and members are also highly encouraged to recruit a friend.

With the excitement of going into this new season for robotics the students involved also recognize how much they learn in the group.

“It really helps everyone with learning to work together and communicate and build things and especially just constructing the things we build will teach you a lot,” sophomore Dillian Ellison said. 

Though robotics can be fun, there is some knowledge that new members have to gain.

“You probably should know coding and design and also you need to be able to build and it’s a lot of fun and work but also you need to be willing to get your hands dirty at some point or another. You’re going to need to think quickly and give it your best efforts,” Waller said. 

Ricke also expressed that good work ethic is expected coming into the robotics team. 

“You should come in with the willingness to learn because there are a lot of things you’ll need to know and remember but if you’re new to it you can just pick things up as you go and it is helpful because everyone on the team is willing to help you,” Ricke said. 

The team will face challenges together that go beyond just constructing.

“There’s a lot of networking that you have to do and fundraising to get the parts and also having to go pick up the parts,” Minks said.

Some students think the hard work is worth it.

“The entire experience overall is something that I love. Just even the spirit is on a whole different level. Everyone, no matter their differences, coming together and helping each other is so fun to see” Ricke said.