Basketball seasons come to end for both girls and boys teams

Sophomore Keira Mostaffa guards a Butler player during the Courtwarming game. The Ladycats made it to the second round in the district tournament, but fell to Skyline.

The Ladycats basketball team made it past the first round of districts, which hasn’t been done in 12 years according to coach Matt Henderson. They finished the season with a 6-22 record. The boys basketball team had a tough season going 1-25, but many of those games came down to the wire. With the Wildcat loss against Russellville in the first round of districts and the Ladycats loss in the second round of districts to Skyline, some players played their final basketball game of their high school career. Throughout their high school careers the seniors made a lot of memories during that time. 

“My favorite memory from basketball was meeting new friends when I first moved here,” senior Jazzmyn Swisher said.

“My favorite memory was the bus rides with the boys,” senior Tayten Boyer said.

The seniors also made memories during this season as well.

“My favorite memory this season is when Jessie started crying at my senior night because she doesn’t cry and it was the sweetest moment,” senior Ashlyn Laue said.

With this being some players’ final season of high school basketball, and with no juniors on the boys team, the sophomores will have to become leaders as the only upperclassmen on the team next season. 

This season was tough for both teams, but there were upsides as well, with many underclassmen getting varsity time. In the long-run, this may be better for the future and next season the incoming freshmen will add more depth to both teams, leaving more options on the bench.