New wrestlers join girls team, make improvements to aim at postseason

Junior Skylon Boone wrestles an opponent at the Jan. 31 Tri against Windsor and Boonville. The girls’ team won the Tri.

The Warsaw High School girls wrestlers have surprised the coaches this season with their performance.
“Brooklyn Jackman has surprised me most this season. Since coaching her over the summer, she has come a long way in her shots, self-confidence, and wrestling skills,” Coach Aspen Longworth said.
Some of the girls wrestlers have set goals for themselves for the season.
“My goals for the season are to grow in knowledge as a new wrestler, and hopefully do pretty well as a whole,” sophomore Alysia Yoder said.
Other wrestlers have set goals for the postseason.

I went from not knowing many moves to placing in my last few tournaments.

— Naomi Yoder

“I plan to win matches at districts, but I hope to make it to state,” sophomore Brooklyn Jackman said.
The girl wrestlers have improved since the beginning of the season.
“I went from not knowing many moves to placing in my last few tournaments,” freshman Naomi Yoder said.
Just as much as Naomi Yoder has improved, Jackman has too.
“I have improved my confidence and taken more risks during a match,” Jackman said
The coaches have also seen improvement from wrestlers.
“Naomi Yoder has improved the most this season as a new wrestler. She continues to grow in her technique and dedication to this sport. Going from being a track star to a new wrestler, she has had some hurdles to jump but she has trusted the process and grown as a first year girls wrestler,” Longworth said.
The coaches have hopes for the wrestlers in the postseason.
“I think we could possibly have 1-2 girls go into the postseason for state. We will see how the districts go,” Longworth said.
District girls wrestling will be held on February 10 and 11.