Class of 2020 makes plans to move forward

Members of the senior class have submitted their last assignments for high school and are ready to receive diplomas and start adulting. Many graduates remember the good times and look forward to bright futures.

Payge Adair is the daughter of Stephanie and Shawn Adair. Adair was involved in Student Council, FBLA, Softball, FCLA, Science Club, Golf, and Pep Club. After graduation she plans to attend Paul Mitchell Cosmetology School. Adair will miss knowing everyone, “I’ll miss seeing everyone that I didn’t usually get to see outside of school. I will for sure miss all of the fun memories and spending time with everyone.” Her best memory from high school was the pep rallies. A piece of advice Adair would give underclassmen is to “spend every day like it’s your last.”

Katelyn Allen is the daughter of Cliff and Trista Allen. Allen was involved in the Gardening Club, FCCLA, Pep Club, and FFA. After graduation she plans to attend college and get a degree in photography and the culinary arts. Allen said some of her best high school memories included being a part of FCCLA because “we helped make a difference in some kids’ lives during Christmas for kids.” She also looks back fondly on the Veteran’s Day Assembly every year. “It meant alot to me and other people who have family members that are Veterans.” Allen’s advice to younger students is to “always follow your heart and never forget your dreams.”

Lillian Alspaugh is the daughter of Julie Darnell and Jason Alspaugh. Alspaugh was involved in Art Club, Golf, Pep Club, the musicals, and FCCLA. After graduation she plans to attend Missouri State University. Her career goal is to be a wildlife biologist and her life goal is to live bigger and happier. Alspaugh will miss the familiarity of being somewhere that feels like home. Her piece of advice to underclassmen is “Our school is far from perfect, my class failed to fix it for the rest of you. Do better, hold the school accountable for the sake of those after you.”

Julian Barkley is the son of Tari and Matt Brakley. He was involved in Cross Country. His best memories from high school include hanging out with his friends and he will miss the teachers. Barkley plans to live in Warsaw and get a job and apartment after graduation. His advice to younger students is to “stay strong.”

Samantha Blake is the great granddaughter of Richard and Cheryl Houston and daughter of Candace Levy. She was involved in Cheer, English club, Speech, Women’s Choir, Science club, and FBLA. After graduation Blake plans to attend Northwest Missouri State University where she is going to get a degree in either pre-med or pre-law. Her current goal for her life is to make a big impact on the country and hopefully inspire some positive change. Her advice to younger students is “Don’t dwell on things that upset you, try to grow from them and move on. It will make your school experience a lot better if you do.”

Madelynn Breshears is the daughter of Chuck and Tammy Breshears. After graduation Breshears plans to go to basic training and then college at UCM. She plans on going to flight school and becoming a helicopter pilot in the army. After retirement she plans on moving to the coast and becoming a helicopter pilot that flies workers out to oil rigs on the ocean. Breshears’ best memory from high school is making pancakes with Ms. Siegel. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is “Enjoy your time in school while you can, you never know when it could be cut short.”

Alexus Brown is the daughter of Gina and Benjamin Domer. Brown was involved in Cheer, Dance, Choir, and FCCLA. After graduation she plans to attend SFCC for a business degree then transfer to College of the Ozarks for her culinary degree, all while becoming part of the National Guard. Brown came to Warsaw her sophomore year. “It was a huge transition coming from my freshman class of 2,200 kids to Warsaw with like 300 or something like that, but I learned that I like smaller schools better because in the three years I was here, I made more actual friends than I did in my previous nine years of school. And for that, I’m very thankful!” Her piece of advice to underclassmen is “don’t blow your grades off! You’ll seriously regret it junior and senior year. You might not think it’s important now but when you don’t have a good enough GPA to get into your favorite college, you’ll wish you didn’t.”

AnnaMarie Cawood is the daughter of Bill and Stephanie Cawood. Cawood was involved in Art Club, Band, CTC, Speech and Debate. After graduation she plans to attend SFCC to get her Associates Degree in Fine Arts, then transfer to University of Central Missouri. Her future plans are to work in the graphic design field while doing freelance art on the side. Cawood’s best memory from high school is every memory in the art building, getting to push herself to create some out-of-the-box things with her favorite people. Her advice to underclassmen is “It’s not that hard, you got this.”

Zachary Chapman is the son of Robert and Stacey Chapman. Chapman was involved in Football, Basketball, Track, Cross Country, FBLA, and Science Club. After graduation he plans to attend OTC. Chapman plans to become a radiologist and support his future family. He will miss football and how close everyone was. One piece of advice Chapman would give underclassmen is “Work hard for yourself and everything else will fall in place.”

Aidan Comer is the son of Ben and Kim Comer. Comer was involved in FFA , Football, and Baseball. After graduation he plans to attend UCM and SFCC. He plans to get a degree in Animal Science. Comer also plans to apply for the Missouri State Highway Patrol when he turns 21. Comer’s best memory from high school was winning against Skyline during his senior football season. He will miss football the most when he graduates. A piece of advice Comer would give underclassmen is “It goes by fast, don’t waste a moment.”

Matthew Couzens is the son of David and Kaysha Gassen and David and Sabrina Couzens. Couzens was involved in Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Pep Club. After graduation he plans to attend Kansas University. His future plans are to coach and help guide kids in the right direction. Couzens said he will miss Warsaw’s pride in their schools, his class relationship when they were all close to each other, and Friday Night Lights. A piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Don’t take time for granted, you’re not guaranteed every second.”

Kane Culbertson is the son of Jeannie and Jerry Culbertson. Culbertson was involved in Student Council, FCA, and Band. After graduation he plans to attend SFCC where he will complete a degree and work at a Forensic Lab. Culbertson’s favorite memory from high school was Mr. Copling’s 6th hour class. His advice is “don’t take it too seriously, we all get the same diploma.” 

Jessica Dwyer is the daughter of Steve and Lisa Dwyer. Dwyer was involved in Student Council, NHS, Madrigal, Math Club, Academic Team, FBLA, Art Club, Science Club, English Club, and Prom Committee. After graduation she plans to attend College of the Ozarks to obtain a major in elementary education. She also plans on studying audiology. Dwyer says she will really miss the support from Warsaw, “I have always felt welcomed in this town and I am so grateful that I moved here. I miss everything about my class. Our class is very gifted and unexpected at the same time.” A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is “Spend time doing what makes you happy! Try and find your passion and try to really explore because high school is a great time to do so. Be safe and do not take your time for granted.”

Allyssa Gemes is the daughter of David and Pam Gemes. Gemes was involved in Madrigal. After graduation she plans to live in Kansas City and attend a college in Kansas. Her best high school memory is Nate running for Courtwarming and coming out in a bikini. Gemes’ piece of advice for underclassmen is “Participate in things because they might not be in your comfort zone, but you could have so much fun.”

Chris Gemes is the son of Levi Gemes. Gemes was involved in Football and Art Club. After graduation he plans to attend Missouri Valley. He plans to become successful in music production. Gemes said he will miss football and his friends. His advice to underclassmen is “It may be very obvious, but like the banner says, ‘start strong’.” Gemes added, “Of course this would happen to our class.”

Grayson Gregrich is the son of Tony and Shannon Eierman. Gregrich was involved in Football and Baseball. He hopes to attend college at Missouri Valley. Gregrich’s favorite memory of high school was him playing football for the first time as a senior and meeting amazing people that he hopes to spend a lifetime with. His advice to underclassmen is to “always put hard work in because it will pay off eventually.”

Kiersten Grobe is the daughter of Pam and Brian Grobe. She was involved in Softball, Track, Golf, Basketball, Student Council, National Honor Society, Art Club, Science Club and Pep Club. Grobe plans to attend the University of Missouri – Columbia to get a bachelors in an art-related field. She is considering a study in interior design to become a home stager. Grobe said her best memories in high school were made with her friends during Homecoming events. She will miss “being around the same group of kids throughout my whole life, and growing up with them, because I won’t see half of them probably ever again.” Grobe’s advice is to “always keep your grades up, focus on your work, and enjoy those moments with your friends.”

Robert Harrison is the son of Maddy and Robert Harrison. Harrison’s future plans are to become a photographer and get married. His favorite memory from high school was being the Warsaw Wildcats’ basketball manager. Harrison’s advice to younger students is “Choose your own path, don’t let others run your life.”

Kaitlyn Hawley is the daughter of James and Sherri Hawley. Hawley was involved in volleyball, track, FFA, and archery. After graduation she plans to attend Ozark Technical Community College to become a Dental Hygienist. Hawley’s best high school memory was her senior FFA float trip. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is ”Take your first two years of high school seriously and don’t procrastinate.”

Wade Henderson is the son of Darron and Renee Henderson. Henderson was involved in Golf, Football, Choir, Band, FBLA, and Academic Team. After graduation he plans to attend University of Central Missouri or State Fair Community College. Henderson wants to major in history and possibly join the military. His favorite memory of high school was the 2019 prom. Henderson’s advice to underclassmen is “Never wish high school to go by faster.”

Jesse Hensley is the son of Cathy Paris. After graduation Hensley plans to stay living in Warsaw. His favorite memory from high school was his freshman year. Hensley’s piece of advice to younger students is “Go to school and show up on time.”

Ariaunna Johnson is the daughter of Herb and Suzie Childers. She was involved in volleyball and track. She will attend State Fair Community College and transfer to the University of Missouri-Kansas City to prepare for a career in the medical field. Johnson said she will miss the volleyball games and bus rides. Her advice is, “Don’t think it’s going too slow. It will always be too fast.” 

Chandler Kuhn is the son of Marilynn and James Worley. Kuhn was involved in wrestling. His future plans are to attend a trade school to continue to perfect his welding skill. His advice to underclassmen is “Do what you can, the best you can do it.”

Joshua Kurtenbach is the son of Jennifer Westfall and Aaron Kurtenbach. Kurtenbach was involved in Student Council and CTC. After graduation he plans to attend State Fair Community College. His future plans are to get a job and start a family. “I want what’s left of the American Dream.”  Kurtenbach’s best memory is CTC. His piece of advice to underclassmen is to “join clubs/extracurricular activities.”

Aidan LeGrande is the son of Kathrine Young. LeGrande was involved in Band and Golf. After graduation he plans to serve in the military and attend State Fair Community College. His future plans are to serve in the military and then go into civil engineering. His piece of advice to younger students is “enjoy it while it lasts.”

Parker Love is the son of Kevin and Heather Love. He was involved in Track and Field, Football, Basketball, NHS, Math Club, FBLA, and Pep Club. After graduation Love is going to attend Southwest Baptist University where he will pursue his track career. Love said he will miss seeing the people he’s grown up with. His piece of advice to younger students is “Cherish your moments because they will be a distant memory before you know it.”

Aubrie McRoberts is the daughter of Eric and Teresa Flores and Aaron and Shevaun McRoberts. McRoberts was involved in Softball, Basketball, Track, Student Council, Madrigal Chamber Choir, Principal Advisory Committee, Pep Club, and National Honor Society.

After graduation, she plans to attend University of Central Missouri to play softball and get a degree in the health/business field. She will miss getting to play all sports with some of her best friends. McRoberts advice to underclassmen is “Never take anything for granted. Cherish every moment because nothing is ever guaranteed and life goes faster than you think.” 

Andrea Merritt is the daughter of Kimberly Pearcy. Merritt was involved in National Honor Society, The Wildcat student newspaper, Track, Cheerleading, Yearbook, Speech and Debate, and International Club. After graduation she plans to attend University of Missouri – Columbia to pursue a career in Journalism. Merritt’s favorite high school memory was performing at cheer competitions. One piece of advice she would give underclassmen is to “get involved.”

Kendra Miller is the daughter of Marian Miller and Jason Hunt. Miller was involved in FCCLA. After graduation she plans to attend State Fair Community College. Her future plans are to find a decent apartment and a well-paying job. Miller will miss taking Prostart with Mrs. Dudenhoeffer. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is “Be yourself and do what you enjoy; don’t be afraid to ask for help. You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself.”

Jullianna O’Carroll is the daughter of Rebecca Whittington. O’Carroll plans to attend Saint Louis Community College and later Missouri State. There, she plans to study nursing and eventually become a trauma or NICU nurse. The thing she will miss the most about high school in general is getting to go out and do something everyday. One piece of advice O’Carroll would give a younger student is “Don’t slack off and make friends with the right people.”

Sky Pearson is the daughter of Kimberly and Garry Pearson. Pearson was involved in Choir. After graduation she plans to work on finding a good career for herself. Pearson’s best memory from high school was her junior prom. “My friend Maddie kept dragging me to the dance floor with candy in my mouth since they set up a candy bar for us,” she said. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is “Don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

Becky Petesch is the daughter of Carol Petesch. Petesch was involved in Band, Madrigal, Student Council, Math Club, Academic Team, Dance Team, and NHS. Petesch hopes to major in Business or Finance. Her favorite memory in high school was going to New Orleans with Madrigal her sophomore year. Her advice to underclassmen is “Don’t stress too much, it will be over sooner than you think.”

Allison Pool is the daughter of Janelle Pool and Dianne Williams. Pool was involved in Marching Band, Pep Band, Concert Band, Pep Club, Golf, FFA, Horse Judging, and Meat Judging. She plans to attend State Fair Community College for two years to get her associate degree. Once that is completed she will decide where to go from there. Pool’s favorite memory in high school was taking naps in the library. Her advice to underclassmen is “Don’t fully trust anybody.” 

Shane Rasberry is the son of Stacy and Jamie Rasberry. Rasberry was involved in FBLA. His plan after graduation is to get a job. Raspberry’s favorite memory from high school was meeting new people that became his friends. His advice to underclassmen is to “enjoy high school while you can.”

Kathryn Ricke is the daughter of Kevin and Sharon Ricke. Ricke was involved in Speech, Academic Team, Art Club, Math Club, Cross Country, Archery, National Honor Society, and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA).. She plans to attend State Fair Community College. She also plans to transfer to a four-year college or university. Ricke is currently working as an Airplane Mechanic and earning her AMP certification and private pilot’s license. She will miss all the teachers and bizarre conversations the most from high school. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is to “push yourself. It’s impossible to get by with minimum effort.”

Austin Rosser is the son of Elaine Rosser. Rosser was involved in Football, Wrestling, Track, and FFA. His future plans are to start his career at Local Operator’s Union and continue his career with the Army National Guard. Rosser’s best memory from high school was when he almost broke all of the school’s lifting records. A piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Life is a journey, not a destination.”

Kya Schepker is the daughter of Brent and Jackie Whitaker. She was involved in softball, track, basketball, student council, National Honor Society, yearbook and Quill and Scroll. This fall, she will attend Evangel University in Springfield. She hopes to receive a masters degree in Speech Pathology and come back to teach in her hometown and start a family. Her best memories from school include “any moment with my girls, there are too many to choose from.” Her advice is to “enjoy every moment because you never know when it will be your last” 

Madeline Schockmann is the daughter of Deanna and Mike Schockmann. Schockmann was involved in Choir, Band, Marching Band, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Multimedia, Family Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), National Honor Society, and English Club. After graduation she plans to attend the University of Central Missouri. There, she plans on going into Music Education and becoming a teacher. She hopes to come back to Warsaw one day and teach here or near Warsaw. Schockmann will miss the comfort of seeing her friends everyday, walking through the halls and knowing every face. Her piece of advice to underclassmen is “Take full advantage of every opportunity. Don’t wait around for the door to open, break it down yourself! And cherish your time here. It is something you will hear often, time flies and high school will genuinely be one of the best times of your life.”

Matthew Schrader is the son of Brandy and David Fajen. Schrader was involved in FFA, FBLA, and Math Club. After graduation, he plans to attend State Fair Community College and become a Precision Machinist. Schrader’s best memory from high school was the trip to the National FFA Convention with his three other classmates and Mr. Adler. His advice to younger students is “Do not make the teachers your enemies. Instead make them your friends. High school will go a lot easier for you.”

Alexa Scrivener is the daughter of Grace Scrivener and Robert Cantrell. Scrivener was involved in Speech, Band, Women’s Choir, Jazz Band, FBLA, NHS, Academic Team, and Golf. After graduation she plans to attend University of Central Missouri. There, she would like to earn a degree in Secondary Education for Speech and Theatre, and later get a job at a high school. She also hopes to act in plays around Kansas City as much as possible. Scrivener’s favorite memory of high school was making it to state in speech three times in a row. Alexa’s advice to underclassmen is “Never let your homework stack up, just do it.”

Clayton Simons is the son of Venecia Wilson, Tim Simons and April Simons. Simons was involved in fishing, hunting, swimming, and having a great time with the bro’s. His future goals are to get a nice job and a nice place to live. Simons’ best memory from high school was playing football with the boys. A piece of advice Simons would give to underclassmen is “Don’t blow this opportunity, do your class work and pay attention because you will need it.”

Josh Simpson is the son of Tom and Natalie Herrick. He was involved in speech and journalism. Simpson plans to attend Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville and wants to pursue a career in the entertainment/audio industry. Simpson said he will remember his time at WHS fondly. “I felt at home in Warsaw.”

Erin Stapleton is the daughter of Tabetha Kerry. Stapleton’s future goals are to become a nurse. Her best memory from high school was making long-term friends. She will miss the spirit of the school the most after graduation. A piece of advice she would give underclassmen is “Never be afraid to ask for help even if you think you don’t need it, and never give up.”

Cole Thirstrup is the son of Destiny Kincaid, Cody Wilson, and Joe Thirstrup. Thirstrup was involved in Golf. His future goals are to become a mechanic. Thirstrup’s best high school memory was Mr. Gragg’s class. He will miss being able to keep in touch with everyone every day. A piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Try.”

Samantha Townley is the daughter of Dwayne and Ang Townley. Townley was involved in Art and Speech Team. After graduation she plans to attend Crowder College for two years and then Northwest University for four years. Her favorite high school memory was drawing/painting class her junior year. “There was something exciting happening everyday in that class, that’s also the first time I had a mental breakdown over an art project.”  Townley’s advice to younger students is “Don’t let something bother you that won’t matter after five hours or even a day. There is so much more to life than being angry or upset! Enjoy the little things.”

Toni Turner is the daughter of Lori Paynter. She was involved in Choir, Band, and Drama. After graduation, Turner plans to attend State Fair Community College and one day start her own business. Her favorite memory was being in choir all four years of high school with her friends.

Lily Tyler is the daughter of Bud and Kathrine Tyler. Tyler was involved in Theatre, Swim and Dive team, and Student Council. After graduation she plans to attend State Fair Community College to receive her associates and after that, attend University of Central Missouri and receive her bachelors. Her future plans are to gain experience with her photography and later become a teacher or social worker. Tyler’s favorite memory from high school was meeting her favorite people in the world in the art room when she moved to WHS. She will miss Chinese Day at lunch because, “the chicken slapped and the lunch ladies were fabulous.” Her advice to underclassmen is “Don’t be ’ready to get out’, the class of 2020 thought the same way and our year got cut short, so enjoy every moment because you never know when it could end.”

Jacob Weiser is the son of John and Kathryn Weiser. Weiser was involved in Golf. After graduation, he plans to become a welder. His favorite high school memory was the bus rides to and from State Fair. Weiser’s piece of advice to younger students is “Make the best out of what you have.”

Hunter Welchert is the son of David and Tammy Welchert. Welchert was involved in Art Club. After graduation he plans to get a degree in Architecture and Design. Welchert’s best high school memory was meeting new people. He said he will miss his friends the most. One piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Be on top of your work, don’t let it slip by.”

Scott Winters is the son of Kari and David Winters. Winters was involved in Math Club, FBLA, Baseball, Basketball, and Cross Country. After graduation he plans to attend University of Central Missouri for an Engineering degree and go into the National Guard. His best memory from high school was being in Mr. Hrabe’s geometry class and advisory class, “We did the craziest things in there.” A piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “No matter what grade you’re in or how busy you are, always try to finish your homework, and definitely save money.”

PetralieJo Wurtz is the son of Lawrence and Valerie Wurtz. Wurtz was involved on The Wildcat newspaper staff.  After graduation he wants to attend the military. His future plans are to become a Missouri State Highway Patrolman. Wurtz will miss his teachers and wonderful friends the most. A piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Never give up and follow your dreams.”

Lerran Yoder is the son of LaMonte and Rachelle Yoder. Yoder was involved in FFA, Madrigal, Pep Club, Track and Field, and WHS Music. After graduation he plans to attend State Technical College of Missouri to get an Auto Mechanics Degree and come back to Warsaw and work as a mechanic and run his family farm. Yoder’s best memory was making his senior float for Homecoming and watching everyone be blown away by their live music. One piece of advice he would give underclassmen is “Work hard in the beginning so you can take it easy later.”

Attempts were made to contact every senior.