Should high school dating be serious?

Dating has always been a part of high school, whether the relationship lasts a week or all four years. This makes sense, considering high school students are entering the transition between childhood and adulthood. One dilemma that often comes with dating is whether or not it should be taken seriously.

Sophomore Wildcat staff writer Eleanor Wassman believes dating should be fun regardless of whether you take it seriously or not.

“In my opinion, you shouldn’t date someone you don’t see some form of potential future with,” Wassman said. “If you’re looking for someone to have fun with, then be friends, don’t waste each other’s time if you know it’s not going to work.”

“Dating shouldn’t be taken seriously, because I don’t think we should be looking for a long-term relationship at this age.  Now it’s time to enjoy just being who we are and what we are looking for in life,” freshman staff writer Bridget McClusky said. “It’s pretty unusual for relationships that begin in high school to last forever.  I’m not going to be with the same person I am now, when I’m thirty. There will be new things that we learn from the relationships we experience.”

Wassman compares relationships to friendships, and establishes a clear line between the two. Friendships are strictly for fun, while relationships should aid in personal growth and development.

“You shouldn’t drag something out if you know it’s not going to work, you could be preventing something between the person you’re dragging along and who they’re really meant to be with. In my opinion, dating someone for fun is no different than a friendship,” Wassman said.

McClusky believes that friendships should be taken more seriously than relationships.

“To me, the difference between friendships and relationships is that once you become friends, that friendship can last for a long time, and it’s easier to overcome fights. But when you start dating, it can be hard to overcome fights, and after you break up, you’re no longer friends.”

Just because a relationship is taken seriously, that doesn’t mean that the couple can’t go out and have fun. Wassman believes it is vital to the growth of the relationship for the pair to go out and participate in extracurricular activities together.

“There is so much couples can do together, but I personally think the serious aspect of it should be how into each other you really are,” Wassman said. “So, I don’t really think they miss out on anything because in a relationship – whether it’s for fun or serious – shouldn’t feel like a chore. It should be your choice in making that person one of your top priorities.”

In the end, both sides of the relationship should actively pursue fun activities together, regardless of how serious the relationship is.