Students and teachers say goodbye to Warsaw science legend

Science+teacher+David+See+prepares+to+throw+out+the+first+pitch+at+a+home+game+against+Sweet+Springs.+This+is+Sees+last+year+teaching+for+Warsaw+High.++

Kya Schepker

Science teacher David See prepares to throw out the first pitch at a home game against Sweet Springs. This is See’s last year teaching for Warsaw High.

As students prepare to graduate, teachers leave and new teachers come, Warsaw high school is preparing to say goodbye to a science teacher who has been with Warsaw for 36 years. Biology teacher David See was hired at Warsaw in 1981-1982 school year. As he rounds the corner on his last year at Warsaw, students and teachers prepare to say goodbye to the Warsaw legend that is Mr. See.

Before See came to Warsaw, he had taught previously for nine years at several other schools, including Raymore-Peculiar High School, Montrose, Lakeland and was in the national guard. These years See spent at Warsaw left an impact on the school and the students.

Junior Rylee Pals had See as a teacher for Biology and Biology II during her sophomore and junior year.

“He is always kind and easy to get along with. He never stopped teaching us like some teachers have done before and was always willing to help and be hands-on with projects and labs,” said Pals.

With 36 years at Warsaw, See is now working alongside teachers who he had as students.

Art teacher Jennifer Greene had See for science her freshman year in 2001.

“I had physical science with him and I remember it being hard, but there was never a moment when we were not learning,” Greene said.

With being hands-on, it was easy to for students to see how passionate See was about science.

“I love science, and I just enjoy all aspects of it. Science is motivational to me, it grasps you,” See said.

See also has made a living and has made relationshionships that he will miss once he leaves.

“There’s a lot of things I will miss. Camaraderie amongst the teachers, the student teacher relationships I have developed and just being in the classroom,” See said, “Warsaw has always had a good salary scale for teachers, and good learning priorities for students and staff.”

After being in Warsaw for so long, See has been able to perfect his teaching and is able to help students become better learners.

“He has taught me to work hard and to not slack off; with his class you can’t slack off or you won’t pass,” sophomore Becky Petesch said.

Petesch has See for Biology I.

With See packing up and ready for retirement, teachers are sad to say goodbye.

“We’re losing a really good teacher. We are going to be sad that he is leaving, but he has put in his time and we will be happy for him to experience retirement,” Greene said.

As See says goodbye to his last group of students here at Warsaw High, his advice to those learning is to “do the best you can everyday.”

“Mr.See will be very missed, the science department will never be the same,” Greene said.