Editorial: Finals cause unnecessary stress

As finals come to an end, students are ready for the holiday break that awaits them. Their mind set goes from cramming information into their skulls at the last minute to what they are going to do for break.

Some students feel that finals are more stressful than helpful. After all, we’ve already proven that we know the information with a test after each unit, why do we need to prove it all over again?

For most people, all finals do is add extra stress. This stress can lead to lack of sleep and bad scores. Finals are a required assessment and worth fifteen percent of our grade.

We have the week to get seven finals done. This gives students seven tests to stress over. These tests consist of content learned over the entire semester. Students are reviewing the content as best they can. Memorizing it for the day of, and right after forgetting it in favor of holiday plans.

Most of the stress comes from not preparing until right before the final.

To better place the feelings of finals, the Wildcat Staff put it into song to the tune of “The Twelve Days of Christmas.”

“Five Days of Finals”

“On the first day of finals my teachers gave to me a week of insomnia,

On the second day of finals my teachers gave to me two splitting migraines and a week of insomnia,

On the third day of finals my teachers gave to me three additional assignments, two splitting migraines, and a week of insomnia,

On the fourth day of finals my teachers gave to me four days of crying, three additional assignments, two splitting migraines, and a week of insomnia,

On the fifth day of finals my teachers gave to me five failing grades, four days of crying, three additional assignments, two splitting migraines, and a week of insomnia.”