Wrestling team continues toward goals as junior gains 100th win

Coach Jared Steenburgen, junior Dallas Larsen and assistant coach Lance Estes celebrate Larsen’s 100th career win. Larsen achieved his 100th career win at the Dec. 6 meet against Versailles.

Photo submitted.

Refining their roster and getting athletes into the correct weight class for success, the wrestling team is on its way to accomplishing goals as wrestlers take wins. Wrestling standout junior Dallas Larsen gained his 100th career win last week  against Kooper Wilson Versailles at Knob Noster.

“It was an special experience.  Mostly because it is Dallas and the history I have with the Larsen family.  I’ve known Dallas seen he was very little and I knew that someday that he would be a very good wrestler but I just didn’t realize just how good.” Steenburgen said.

The team has had a few meets so far this season. They have been at Clinton, Knob Noster and Versailles. Five wrestlers placed at the Knob Noster meet on Dec. 3. In the 106 weight class, freshman Del Graves took third, in the 126 weight class, junior Dallas Larsen took first, in the 160 weight class sophomore Kolby Estes took third and in the 220 weight class, junior Nate Fauquier took second. In the Clinton meet the boys just wrestled for win or lose. There were no places. Estes got a win.

The team took fourth place at the Versailles Tournament last weekend, on Dec. 10.

“We will fill some of the holes by getting some of the wrestlers to a better weight class for them and that will move some of the JV wrestlers into a varsity position.  It is very hard to have a complete roster at the 1A level,” Steenburgen said.

This year there are fourteen members on the team. There are fourteen weight classes that they can wrestle in but the team has five open ones and five that are doubled up with members of the team.

Some wrestlers try to gain or lose weight to be able to wrestle in a weight class where they will find the most success, but they must do so in a safe manner, staying hydrated and taking hydrate tests.

Coach Jared Steenburgen has many new strategies to help the wrestlers get into shape for the season. Some of these include long distance running, short yard sprints, weights, and a lot of mental toughness training. Steenburgen’s goal is to be one of the top 10 class one teams in the state.

“I love it, wrestling is really fun and the team has been more than willing to work with me and treat me the same as everyone else,”  junior Cora Rodgers said

Rodgers in the only girl on the team this year and joined because she finally found a sport that is aggressive and equivalent to the work ethic that she has and plans to improve on. This is Rodger’s first year on the team.

“I started wrestling because I wanted to push myself to do harder things to make me mentally and physically stronger, and because it’s an off season for baseball and I do not want to sit around and be lazy,”  sophomore Alex Long said.

The wrestling team is definitely not lazy. The team runs at most practices and conditions.    

Freshman Chase Steiner said that he works out whenever he can, whether it is crunches or pushups. Anything to help him stay in shape.

The team has one meet over break and that is the Marceline Dual, they will continue to work on technique and  building their foundation for the district competition.