Artist Corner

Two senior band students develop their music through practice

Seniors+Austin+Reynolds+and+Claudia+Schmitz+lead+the+band+onto+the+field.+

Mykal Albers

Seniors Austin Reynolds and Claudia Schmitz lead the band onto the field.

Music is an art that requires skill, determination, hard work, and lots of practice. Seniors Austin Reynolds and Claudia Schmitz are two students who give it their all to play music in band and outside of band.

Schmitz and Reynolds led the band this year as drum majors, but also add their musical talents to concert band. Schmitz plays the flute and Reynolds plays the tenor saxophone.

With all their hard work and dedication Schmitz and Reynolds have accomplished a lot in their music careers.

“Both Claudia and Austin have gone to state and district band,” said band director Ben Johnson.

On Saturday Dec. 5, Schmitz became the first Warsaw High School student in a very long time to make All-State Band. According to Johnson, Schmitz has placed twice at the state level.

Schmitz has been playing the piano since she was four years old. In sixth grade Schmitz started playing the flute. Schmitz couldn’t do any of this without hard work, though.

“I play my flute and the piano three hours a day during the weekdays. Weekends I might play a slight less, but I still practice,” Schmitz said.

For Schmitz, it is a definite possibility that she will continue music after high school.

“Music has opened more doors of opportunity for me,” Schmitz said.

Schmitz has considered music therapy as a career.

Senior Austin Reynolds has played the alto saxophone for seven years. Austin also plays the tenor saxophone currently in concert band, and jazz band.

“I practice seven to eight times a week. That’s a lot,” Reynolds said. “Music has has positively affected me by opening up many opportunities for me.”

Reynolds has worked hard ever since he joined band in sixth grade, and continues to work hard at his music as the years go on.

“Austin is a very talented musician,” Johnson said.

Reynolds plans on continuing music after high school, even if it’s not as a full time career.

¨I could imagine Austin doing college band,¨ Johnson said.